Marilyn and Bob

Default Replace Functioning Water Heater?

I'm not a conservation expert here, but I believe the reason is that pilot
lights are the only way you can keep the hot water going if the power goes
out. Plus the pilot light's heat isn't entirely wasted, it is positioned so
it does help heat the tank.

With a stove, you can always manually light at least the burners if the
power is out. And a hydronic boiler (circulator pump) and furnace
(ventilator fan) requires electricity in any case to operate, not to mention
all the sophisticated control equipment on any boiler (including steam) or
furnace. So a pilot light would be useless in a blackout. .
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Heathcliff Bambino" wrote in message
om...
"Marilyn and Bob" wrote in message

Don't worry about losing your shower in the dark. Unlike furnaces,

boilers
and stoves,
standard gas water heaters still come with pilot lights.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Yeah, why is that? What's different about water heaters?

-- Ken (an energy-conservation-minded guy, who nonetheless longs for
the good old days of pilot lights)