Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_35_] Andy[_35_] is offline

Default Red jackets in the gas grill

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 9:49:22 PM UTC-5, Dan Espen wrote:
Andy writes:

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 5:58:20 PM UTC-5, Dan Espen wrote:
Andy writes:

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 10:38:03 AM UTC-5, Dan Espen wrote:
Andy writes:

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 8:30:18 AM UTC-5, Dan Espen wrote:
Andy writes:

I am trying to stop red jackets from habituating my gas grill.

Then stop buying red jackets and putting them there. Perhaps you mean
"yellow jackets"?

I don't want to use poisons.

I have sprayed them with a soap solution, but they keep coming back
and building nests.

You have a pile of jackets on your grill and they are building nests?
The soap was to clean the jackets? If there are actually bees in your
grill were you trying to clean them?

Anything I can put in there that they won't like being around?

Turn on the grill. Even if you have a pile of red jackets on the grill
they'll burn up. If they are actually wasps or some other kind of bee,
they don't like flames and one fully heated grill will do them in.

--
Dan Espen

Not yellow jackets. Red jackets is the common usage in my area even if it isn't the scientific name.

Look up home made wasp spray to see what soap solution means.

Your ideas are rather silly.

You think turning on the grill is silly?

I did a Google search for red jackets.
Saw lots of jackets, no bees.

--
Dan Espen

I was referring to your other comments.

Still a mystery as to what your red jackets really are.
Are they red?

As to turning on the grill....

Lets examine that method.

I would have to get close enuf the turn it on.

Red wasps would view that as a threat and fly to sting.

You've already been advised to do this in evening when
the bees have all returned to the nest and aren't active.

--
Dan Espen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polistes_carolina#Stings

Sounds pretty nasty. Up here in the North East we have hornets.
I had one attack me about 10 ft from the hive. Luckily it only
got me a little through denim. So I got out my 12 foot bamboo pole,
tied a jar of gasoline to it, added burning rag and poured on the hive.
A big tower of flame was the end of that problem.

That might have been 50 years ago.

Now, I'd just turn on the grill.

--
Dan Espen

My gas grill is a Brinkmann.

I just found out they went bankrupt.

No problem as I rebuilt my grille recently.

Andy