Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Red jackets in the gas grill

I am trying to stop red jackets from habituating my gas grill.

I don't want to use poisons.

I have sprayed them with a soap solution, but they keep coming back and building nests.

Anything I can put in there that they won't like being around?

Thanks,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/18 7:33 AM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to stop red jackets from habituating my gas grill.

I don't want to use poisons.

I have sprayed them with a soap solution, but they keep coming back and building nests.

Anything I can put in there that they won't like being around?

Thanks,
Andy

https://www.amazon.com/FMI-Brands-Original-Non-Toxic-Deterrent/dp/B000W93LUU

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 7:48:03 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/6/18 7:33 AM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to stop red jackets from habituating my gas grill.

I don't want to use poisons.

I have sprayed them with a soap solution, but they keep coming back and building nests.

Anything I can put in there that they won't like being around?

Thanks,
Andy

https://www.amazon.com/FMI-Brands-Original-Non-Toxic-Deterrent/dp/B000W93LUU

Lot of bad reviews.

Like wasps using it instead of building their own nests.

I think wasps aren't stupid. They may be leery of the nest, but figure out quickly that it is not being used.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

I am trying to stop red jackets from habituating my gas grill.

Then stop buying red jackets and putting them there. Perhaps you mean
"yellow jackets"?

I don't want to use poisons.

I have sprayed them with a soap solution, but they keep coming back
and building nests.

You have a pile of jackets on your grill and they are building nests?
The soap was to clean the jackets? If there are actually bees in your
grill were you trying to clean them?

Anything I can put in there that they won't like being around?

Turn on the grill. Even if you have a pile of red jackets on the grill
they'll burn up. If they are actually wasps or some other kind of bee,
they don't like flames and one fully heated grill will do them in.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 8:30:18 AM UTC-5, Dan Espen wrote:
Andy writes:

I am trying to stop red jackets from habituating my gas grill.

Then stop buying red jackets and putting them there. Perhaps you mean
"yellow jackets"?

I don't want to use poisons.

I have sprayed them with a soap solution, but they keep coming back
and building nests.

You have a pile of jackets on your grill and they are building nests?
The soap was to clean the jackets? If there are actually bees in your
grill were you trying to clean them?

Anything I can put in there that they won't like being around?

Turn on the grill. Even if you have a pile of red jackets on the grill
they'll burn up. If they are actually wasps or some other kind of bee,
they don't like flames and one fully heated grill will do them in.

--
Dan Espen

Not yellow jackets. Red jackets is the common usage in my area even if it isn't the scientific name.

Look up home made wasp spray to see what soap solution means.

Your ideas are rather silly.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2018 9:30 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

I have sprayed them with a soap solution, but they keep coming back
and building nests.

You have a pile of jackets on your grill and they are building nests?
The soap was to clean the jackets? If there are actually bees in your
grill were you trying to clean them?

Spaying a soap solution coats the nest and kills the wasps inside.

Anything I can put in there that they won't like being around?

Turn on the grill. Even if you have a pile of red jackets on the grill
they'll burn up. If they are actually wasps or some other kind of bee,
they don't like flames and one fully heated grill will do them in.

I'm thinking they are in the bottom section of the grill, not the upper
cooking portion. That is the only way this makes sense to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 9:46:29 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/6/2018 9:30 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

I have sprayed them with a soap solution, but they keep coming back
and building nests.

You have a pile of jackets on your grill and they are building nests?
The soap was to clean the jackets? If there are actually bees in your
grill were you trying to clean them?

Spaying a soap solution coats the nest and kills the wasps inside.

Anything I can put in there that they won't like being around?

Turn on the grill. Even if you have a pile of red jackets on the grill
they'll burn up. If they are actually wasps or some other kind of bee,
they don't like flames and one fully heated grill will do them in.

I'm thinking they are in the bottom section of the grill, not the upper
cooking portion. That is the only way this makes sense to me.

No, the nest is above the grill.

I guess they like "their space." :-)

I put in a cotton ball soaked in White camphor.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

[...]

You think turning on the grill is silly?

I did a Google search for red jackets.
Saw lots of jackets, no bees.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

[...]

There is a lot of confusion about bees, wasps and hornets, even among
people who should know better. You really need to see the nest to sort
them out if you are not willing to actually catch and examine the
insect.
Even then a google search will give you conflicting opinions about
what they are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 07:47:58 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 9/6/18 7:33 AM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to stop red jackets from habituating my gas grill.

I don't want to use poisons.

I have sprayed them with a soap solution, but they keep coming back and building nests.

Anything I can put in there that they won't like being around?

Thanks,
Andy

I've heard of Yellow Jackets. Never heard of red ones. But whatever they
are, the solution is simple in a grill. Find the nest and apply a lit
propane torch to it. I even do that under the eaves on wooden siding,
but you have to go fast or you can blister the paint and could even
start a fire. But it only takes about 1/10th of a second of the flame
and they are falling to the ground. I apply the torch a second time to
the wasps that are on the ground. Then I knock down the nest and burn
that too. I dont usually tell people this method because someone will
probably start a fire (on wood). But on that grill, take your torch and
blast away.

(It's best to do this after dark, thats when they are all in the nest
and not likely to sting you).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

[...]

I was referring to your other comments.

As to turning on the grill....

Lets examine that method.

I would have to get close enuf the turn it on.

Red wasps would view that as a threat and fly to sting.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/6/18 7:33 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

They were actually red wasps.

Red jackets is slang.

I have no problem getting rid of the wasps using a soap water soln. from 10 ft away. I added some camphor oil to the mix.

What I will probably do is install screen mesh at openings.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

[...]

Still a mystery as to what your red jackets really are.
Are they red?

As to turning on the grill....

Lets examine that method.

I would have to get close enuf the turn it on.

Red wasps would view that as a threat and fly to sting.

You've already been advised to do this in evening when
the bees have all returned to the nest and aren't active.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polistes_carolina#Stings
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

[...]

I have a guy that does Bee Removal. I sent your email to him and this was his reply.

€śLimit their access via screen, steel wool, pipe caps, or grill cover.€ť
Sorry I couldnt get more. I have a problem with them as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/6/18 7:33 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

This guy?
https://tinyurl.com/y7e6nquy
Builds an open nest.
or this guy
https://tinyurl.com/y7ppfg7c
Builds an enclosed nest
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

[...]

Those guys are not particularly aggressive. usually you can knock the
nest down with a broom. Just be sure you find the "guard" and engage
him first. Maintain eye contact without any aggressive moves and the
rest will go back to work. Then you can whack the nest. I have knocked
them down with my hand. You have about 5 seconds to get 5 or 6 feet
away. They are not likely to chase you.
OTOH if these are the hornets (build an enclosed paper mache nest)
they will chase you into a pond and wait for you to come up for air.
As mentioned before, the only way to stop them is to plug up the
holes. Usually that is the slot for the rotisserie in a grille hood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/6/18 7:33 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

None of those. I believe their bodies are all reddish.

I will take a pic if I am feeling brave.:-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

[...]

Sounds pretty nasty. Up here in the North East we have hornets.
I had one attack me about 10 ft from the hive. Luckily it only
got me a little through denim. So I got out my 12 foot bamboo pole,
tied a jar of gasoline to it, added burning rag and poured on the hive.
A big tower of flame was the end of that problem.

That might have been 50 years ago.

Now, I'd just turn on the grill.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

[...]

My gas grill is a Brinkmann.

I just found out they went bankrupt.

No problem as I rebuilt my grille recently.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 7:33:08 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I am trying to stop red jackets from habituating my gas grill.

I don't want to use poisons.

Park it in a sunny location. It will get too hot for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 6:11:21 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 7:33:08 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I am trying to stop red jackets from habituating my gas grill.

I don't want to use poisons.

Park it in a sunny location. It will get too hot for them.

Mine is in a sunny location in Texas where it gets pretty hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 07:37:31 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

Park it in a sunny location. It will get too hot for them.

Mine is in a sunny location in Texas where it gets pretty hot.

Any real Texan, with **** on his boots would've fixed your problem in
a few minutes. Stand Up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy posted for all of us...

Andy writes:

[...]

Steel wool rusts while bronze or copper wool will not-from boating supply.

--
Tekkie