Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil[_3_] Nil[_3_] is offline

Default Coleman fuel - SOLUTION!

That is, plan of attack... I'm going to mix a few ounces of the Coleman
fuel in with each tank of regular unleaded gas in my lawn mower and car
until I use up the can. I probably have only one, maybe two mows left
this season, so I guess most of it will end up in the car.

I'm still not sure whether the fuel is naphtha or white gas, but from
the comments here and others I found on the web tell me that either
will burn reasonably OK in a gasoline engine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

On 06 Sep 2018, Nil wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I found a quart can of Coleman fuel in my basement. It's been many
years since I used my old backbacking stove, so this stuff must
have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. The can is labeled
"Peak 1 Model 8555-300 - Fuel for gasoline backpacking
appliances." I can't find any reference to this model number on
the 'net. The can has no indication of what the actual composition
of the fuel is, whether it's naptha, gasoline, "white gas", or
whatever. The warnings on the back of the can include, "Do not use
this fuel as a fire starter, for cleaning purposes, or in
kerosene, alcohol, or lamp oil appliances" and "Handle with the
same care as gasoline." I don't know how I'd get rid of this stuff
if I wanted to - throwing it in the trash would not be not a good
idea and is probably illegal. So, I'm wondering what else I can do
with it.

Suggestions? Can this be substituted for regular gasoline? That
is, can I dump it into my lawn mower or car without ill effects?