Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coleman fuel

I found a quart can of Coleman fuel in my basement. It's been many
years since I used my old backbacking stove, so this stuff must have
been sitting on the shelf for a long time. The can is labeled "Peak 1
Model 8555-300 - Fuel for gasoline backpacking appliances." I can't
find any reference to this model number on the 'net. The can has no
indication of what the actual composition of the fuel is, whether it's
naptha, gasoline, "white gas", or whatever. The warnings on the back
of the can include, "Do not use this fuel as a fire starter, for
cleaning purposes, or in kerosene, alcohol, or lamp oil appliances" and
"Handle with the same care as gasoline." I don't know how I'd get rid
of this stuff if I wanted to - throwing it in the trash would not be
not a good idea and is probably illegal. So, I'm wondering what else I
can do with it.

Suggestions? Can this be substituted for regular gasoline? That is, can
I dump it into my lawn mower or car without ill effects?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2018 8:37 PM, Nil wrote:
[...]

It is naptha. You can use it in the lawnmower but since gas has
additives, I'd mix it so you have the benefits of the additives if needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 20:37:20 -0400, Nil
wrote:

[...]

Short answer, no
This came up in the 70s when gas was hard to come by and it was never
advised as something to do, I suppose if you used it a pint a tankful
you might away with it tho.
This is more like naphtha than gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I used unleaded gas in a Coleman stove a long time ago. It
seemed to work fine. Maybe the Coleman product burns cleaner due
to fewer additives?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've run the stuff in a lawnmower engine. I'd mix it about 25% with
unleaded gasoline

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2018 8:47 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

I've run the stuff in a lawnmower engine. I'd mix it about 25% with
unleaded gasoline

W/ an engine that's never run leaded, probably ok, years ago in days
before unleaded neighbor borrowed my lawnmower and dumped a bunch of
Coleman fuel in it...it dissolved all the lead accumulated deposits and
completely coated the inner workings with the remnants--trashed the
engine completely.

Even w/ new I'd dilute it 10:1 or greater to get rid of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 21:24:12 -0500, dpb wrote:

Even w/ new I'd dilute it 10:1 or greater to get rid of it.

On a sort of related note, does anyone know what should be done with a few
tankfuls of fuel oil which have been mixed with 2-stroke oil?

(During the last few years before my Dad was 'put into' a home, he made a
few such mistakes.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 02:31:15 +0000, Mike_Duffy
wrote:

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 21:24:12 -0500, dpb wrote:

Even w/ new I'd dilute it 10:1 or greater to get rid of it.

On a sort of related note, does anyone know what should be done with a few
tankfuls of fuel oil which have been mixed with 2-stroke oil?

(During the last few years before my Dad was 'put into' a home, he made a
few such mistakes.)

just burn it.50:1 2 stroke oil in fuel oil (furnace or diesel) isn't
going to hurt anything
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2018 5:37 PM, Nil wrote:
[...]

I would just take it in a disposable container to my local Haz-Waste site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 23:19:20 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

just burn it.50:1 2 stroke oil in fuel oil (furnace or diesel) isn't
going to hurt anything

I'm a bit leary about soot build-up in the flue, or fouling the ignitor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why throw it in the trash. Give it to someone, sell it for 50 cents at a
rummage sale, or whatever. People still use it.

But yes, it's naptha, and naptha is a great octane booster. The old
racing cars in the 1950s thru 70s used it to boost power. I know this
for fact. In the late 70's I acquired about 5 gallons of it. My early
70's Chevy had a carburetor and I was told it was safe to use on that
engine. I added a half gallon of the naptha to 10 gallons of gas, and I
was impressed by the extra power I got. It also did a good job of
cleaning out the bore in my carb, and I suspect it cleaned the whole
engine and fuel system.

I am not sure what it would do to a modern fuel injected computerized
engine, so I would hesitate to try it, But if I had an old car with a
carb, I'd use it without worry.

You only have a quart, Add about 2 ounces to a gallon of gas for your
lawnmower and seee if the mower goes faster....

If i see a lawn mower flying across the horizon, with a tail of flame in
back, I'll know you added the whole quart and went airborne.

Naptha is also a good solvent for some oil based paints as well as a
paintbrush cleaner for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/18 8:37 PM, Nil wrote:
[...]

Chuck it, unless you're a gambling man ;-)

--
A gun is a lot like a parachute. If you need one and dont have one,
youll probably never need one again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2018 12:06 AM, Mike_Duffy wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 23:19:20 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

just burn it.50:1 2 stroke oil in fuel oil (furnace or diesel) isn't
going to hurt anything

I'm a bit leary about soot build-up in the flue, or fouling the ignitor.

Not a real concern, especially if well diluted in the oil tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/06/2018 09:39 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 9/6/2018 5:37 PM, Nil wrote:
[...]

Typical Democrat; pass your problems on to someone else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 Sep 2018, Bob F wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I would just take it in a disposable container to my local
Haz-Waste site.

My town holds a few hazardous waste disposal day in October. If I
haven't disposed of it by then I'll take it there, along with some
other nasty stuff I have hanging around like old paint and obsolete
anti-freeze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2018 1:45 PM, Nil wrote:
On 06 Sep 2018, Bob F wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I would just take it in a disposable container to my local
Haz-Waste site.

My town holds a few hazardous waste disposal day in October. If I
haven't disposed of it by then I'll take it there, along with some
other nasty stuff I have hanging around like old paint and obsolete
anti-freeze.

Why waste these things?

Naphtha can be added to any gasoline based product if diluted or used as
paint thinner or brush cleaner. I've even used it to make Ed's Red gun
cleaner.

I never heard of obsolete antifreeze. Even saved used could be used in
the winter to help prevent drain traps freezing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 Sep 2018, Bill wrote in
alt.home.repair:

FWIW, I used unleaded gas in a Coleman stove a long time ago. It
seemed to work fine. Maybe the Coleman product burns cleaner due
to fewer additives?

I used an Optimus camp stove for decades and I always ran it on
unleaded gas. I had to clean out the pinhole spout occasionally, but it
never failed me. I have a newer, lighter, more modern stove now, not
Coleman brand, I think. That must be what I bought the fuel for, though
I don't remember actually doing that.

My backpacking days are probably over, and if they're not I'll get some
fresh fuel at that time. This can's gotta go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 Sep 2018, dpb wrote in alt.home.repair:

W/ an engine that's never run leaded, probably ok, years ago in
days before unleaded neighbor borrowed my lawnmower and dumped a
bunch of Coleman fuel in it...it dissolved all the lead
accumulated deposits and completely coated the inner workings with
the remnants--trashed the engine completely.

Even w/ new I'd dilute it 10:1 or greater to get rid of it.

I think this will be my solution. I'll just dump a few ounces of it in
my mower and car when filling the tank until the stuff is used up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coleman fuel - SOLUTION!

That is, plan of attack... I'm going to mix a few ounces of the Coleman
fuel in with each tank of regular unleaded gas in my lawn mower and car
until I use up the can. I probably have only one, maybe two mows left
this season, so I guess most of it will end up in the car.

I'm still not sure whether the fuel is naphtha or white gas, but from
the comments here and others I found on the web tell me that either
will burn reasonably OK in a gasoline engine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

On 06 Sep 2018, Nil wrote in
alt.home.repair:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07 Sep 2018, Frank "frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

I never heard of obsolete antifreeze. Even saved used could be
used in the winter to help prevent drain traps freezing.

It's Dexcool. It can't be mixed with regular antifreeze and I don't
have that car any more.

I've never needed to prevent drain traps from freezing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2018 1:45 PM, Nil wrote:
On 06 Sep 2018, Bob F wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I would just take it in a disposable container to my local
Haz-Waste site.

My town holds a few hazardous waste disposal day in October. If I
haven't disposed of it by then I'll take it there, along with some
other nasty stuff I have hanging around like old paint and obsolete
anti-freeze.

Old paint is easy. Take the lid off, let it harden, then toss in the
trash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2018 2:33 PM, Nil wrote:
On 07 Sep 2018, Frank "frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

I never heard of obsolete antifreeze. Even saved used could be
used in the winter to help prevent drain traps freezing.

It's Dexcool. It can't be mixed with regular antifreeze and I don't
have that car any more.

I've never needed to prevent drain traps from freezing.

I have friends that do it at their hunting camp and house went left for
a few months in the winter.

Dex Cool is mostly ethylene glycol with a few percent of another
additive. Could be safely washed down the drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2018 5:25 PM, Frank wrote:

Dex Cool is mostly ethylene glycol with a few percent of another
additive.Â* Could be safely washed down the drain.

Absolutely not!!! as a general rule. Most jurisdiction will flat-out
prohibit any such thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2018 7:59 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/7/2018 5:25 PM, Frank wrote:

Dex Cool is mostly ethylene glycol with a few percent of another
additive.Â* Could be safely washed down the drain.

Absolutely not!!! as a general rule.Â* Most jurisdiction will flat-out
prohibit any such thing.

--

They may but municipal sewers can handle it and it degrades. It is
advised not to put in septic. Its sweet taste and toxicity to dogs who
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07 Sep 2018, Frank "frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

I have friends that do it at their hunting camp and house went
left for a few months in the winter.

Well, maybe I'll save it for that day when I have a hunting camp!

No, seriously, I'm trying to get rid of all the crap I've hoarded,
"just in case..."

Dex Cool is mostly ethylene glycol with a few percent of another
additive. Could be safely washed down the drain.

I don't feel comfortable with that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 14:29:21 -0400, Nil
wrote:

That is, plan of attack... I'm going to mix a few ounces of the Coleman
fuel in with each tank of regular unleaded gas in my lawn mower and car
until I use up the can. I probably have only one, maybe two mows left
this season, so I guess most of it will end up in the car.

I'm still not sure whether the fuel is naphtha or white gas, but from
the comments here and others I found on the web tell me that either
will burn reasonably OK in a gasoline engine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Can't be worse than any of the other bottles of "miracle cure" people
dump in their gas tank hoping for wonderful things to happen. (or bad
things not to happen)
I think they are all just naphtha and traces of other things to make
them unique.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2018 2:33 PM, Nil wrote:
On 07 Sep 2018, Frank "frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

I never heard of obsolete antifreeze. Even saved used could be
used in the winter to help prevent drain traps freezing.

It's Dexcool. It can't be mixed with regular antifreeze and I don't
have that car any more.

I've never needed to prevent drain traps from freezing.

Any Cruise Nights or other auto enthusiast gatherings around? I imagine
someone would like to have it. Local repair shop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/07/2018 04:25 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/7/2018 2:33 PM, Nil wrote:
On 07 Sep 2018, Frank "frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

I never heard of obsolete antifreeze. Even saved used could be
used in the winter to help prevent drain traps freezing.

It's Dexcool. It can't be mixed with regular antifreeze and I don't
have that car any more.

I've never needed to prevent drain traps from freezing.

I have friends that do it at their hunting camp and house went left for
a few months in the winter.

Dex Cool is mostly ethylene glycol with a few percent of another
additive. Could be safely washed down the drain.

Yeah, the fish won't mind or anyone with a ground water well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 20:27:48 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

I've never needed to prevent drain traps from freezing.

I have friends that do it at their hunting camp and house went left for
a few months in the winter.

Dex Cool is mostly ethylene glycol with a few percent of another
additive. Could be safely washed down the drain.

Yeah, the fish won't mind or anyone with a ground water well.

You a farmer boy, lowbrowman? That would explain a lot about you ...though
not your endless driveling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Also makes a good metal cleaner for some things including electrical
parts.

Greg

diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? [email protected] Home Repair 45 November 24th 19 01:46 AM
diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? lp13-30 Home Repair 20 December 23rd 17 05:52 AM
Old Coleman Stove Fuel Tanks -- how to get rid of 'em? John Albert Home Repair 19 February 8th 14 09:46 PM
OT isn't Coleman fuel same as unleaded gas? Tom Nie Woodturning 11 August 13th 07 03:33 AM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM