Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_91_] Bill[_91_] is offline

Default Coleman fuel

wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 20:37:20 -0400, Nil
wrote:

I found a quart can of Coleman fuel in my basement. It's been many
years since I used my old backbacking stove, so this stuff must have
been sitting on the shelf for a long time. The can is labeled "Peak 1
Model 8555-300 - Fuel for gasoline backpacking appliances." I can't
find any reference to this model number on the 'net. The can has no
indication of what the actual composition of the fuel is, whether it's
naptha, gasoline, "white gas", or whatever. The warnings on the back
of the can include, "Do not use this fuel as a fire starter, for
cleaning purposes, or in kerosene, alcohol, or lamp oil appliances" and
"Handle with the same care as gasoline." I don't know how I'd get rid
of this stuff if I wanted to - throwing it in the trash would not be
not a good idea and is probably illegal. So, I'm wondering what else I
can do with it.

Suggestions? Can this be substituted for regular gasoline? That is, can
I dump it into my lawn mower or car without ill effects?

Short answer, no
This came up in the 70s when gas was hard to come by and it was never
advised as something to do, I suppose if you used it a pint a tankful
you might away with it tho.
This is more like naphtha than gas.

FWIW, I used unleaded gas in a Coleman stove a long time ago. It
seemed to work fine. Maybe the Coleman product burns cleaner due
to fewer additives?