Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default How Would You Roof This Treehouse? (Rafter Layout)

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 5:51:42 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Inner tubes used for seals, shingled roof.
Tar, etc. will strategically applied later

https://i.imgur.com/ic9HNZg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Drt85Ph.jpg

Some thoughts:
Not sure just how he is to seal the inner tubes to the shingles and/or further roof topping. Might want to recommend, to him, to use spray adhesive, for auto head-liners (from your local auto parts store) or foam adhesive (from your local fabric shop).... the two spray glues are essentially the same. This adhesive may not seal the minute
"holes" as per from the shingle's small gravel, but it should allow good adhesion of the inner tube to the shingles. They are for rubber products.

Spray on generously, allow to dry for a minute or two, then press the materials together. Clean up any residual glue (from hands and the like) with mineral spirits/paint thinner. This adhesive might be better than the shingle tacks, but doesn't hurt to use both. Probably $4 per can of spray, at least 2 cans needed.

I'm kinna thinking tar won't stick to the rubber inner tubes, but I don't really know. The non-tar roofing sealant/adhesive might stick to the rubber tubes, maybe better than the spray adhesive. Might want to read the labels, to compare adhesion properties.

Sonny