Mike Bittel

Default Replace Functioning Water Heater?

My rule of thumb is keep it unless it isn't functioning. Remember that the
design of gas water heaters has changed now and they're more expensive.
Federal Law now requires a sealed combustion chamber as part of the design.

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
We have lived in this house 8-10 years. The natural gas water heater is

the
same as when we moved in. One major benefit it has is it is pilot-light
enabled -- it doesn't require electricity. I have taken many hot showers

by
candle light when the power has been off 2+ days here in Maryland USA.

What I DON'T want to have happen is come home one day to a flood of water
coming out of the utility room from the water heater after a catastrophic
failure.

Is it a "normal, good" practice to replace a water heater after a certain

#
of years, whether or not it is still working fine?

Thanks.

-- Mark