Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electrolytic de-rusting current question

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 18:39:01 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 04/09/18 09:13, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 03 Sep 2018 21:46:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 04:55:20 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 9/3/2018 3:49 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 10:27:37 +0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I've done some electrolytic derusting of small things with a 10 amp
battery charger. Works great, biggest was a Vespa frame, took some days
as I recall.

Now I'm thinking of a car frame. I don't mind leaving it for a while, but
is that charger going to do anything at all or is there a sort of
threshold current/area ratio?
1. Can you locate a suitable container to hold that much water and
TSP along with a car frame?

If so...yes..it will work. You will need more than 10 amps of
power..simply because its a much much bigger surface. You will be
able to do it with 10 amps..but it will take much..much longer.

You will also need to put extra electrodes along the frame to allow
good electrical connection through the water along the sides of the
frame. You may..may have to turn the frame over once one side is
derusted so the current can do the other side.

If you put electrodes along both sides of the car frame..it will work
better and much faster.

Got a pool thats not being used for anything? Car frame is what...15'
long by 5-6' wide?

That could be done in a plastic lined hole in the ground and only cost
you shovel time and multiple layers of plastic.

Gunner
__

All of that sounds fascinating, but for a one off project like a car
frame wouldn't a sand blaster and a big bag of glass beads be the
answer? Some time back I converted a boat trailer into a flatbed
utility trailer. We did the whole thing, and blew the slag off the
welds we couldn't reach with a hammer or a wire wheel with a hand held
self contained sand blasting gun and a bag of playground sand.
Ditto sandblasting the grunge. Then wash with phosphoric acid prep.

Klean-Strip 1 gal. Phosphoric Prep and Etch $15.98 @ Home Depot.

Absolutely. I wouldnt try electrolysis on a car frame on a
bet...well..if there were enough money involved...but...

Thats why I have a portable blaster tank and a few hundred pounds of
playground sand in bags out in the back 40.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

In the UK it's illegal to sand blast with silica sand due to the
silicosis hazard, is that also the case in the US. I occasionally use
black beauty (copper slag IIRC) or glass beads, aluminium oxide or
silicon carbide.

It varies from state to state and city by city. Frankly...I wouldnt
care if it were illegal. Ive no neighbors close enough to bother and
of course I blast with a filter mask if not working in the blast
cabinet.

Shrug.

__