Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unk Unk is offline

Default electrolytic de-rusting current question

I've done some electrolytic derusting of small things with a 10 amp
battery charger. Works great, biggest was a Vespa frame, took some days
as I recall.

Now I'm thinking of a car frame. I don't mind leaving it for a while, but
is that charger going to do anything at all or is there a sort of
threshold current/area ratio?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 10:27:37 +0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I've done some electrolytic derusting of small things with a 10 amp
battery charger. Works great, biggest was a Vespa frame, took some days
as I recall.

Now I'm thinking of a car frame. I don't mind leaving it for a while, but
is that charger going to do anything at all or is there a sort of
threshold current/area ratio?

1. Can you locate a suitable container to hold that much water and
TSP along with a car frame?

If so...yes..it will work. You will need more than 10 amps of
power..simply because its a much much bigger surface. You will be
able to do it with 10 amps..but it will take much..much longer.

You will also need to put extra electrodes along the frame to allow
good electrical connection through the water along the sides of the
frame. You may..may have to turn the frame over once one side is
derusted so the current can do the other side.

If you put electrodes along both sides of the car frame..it will work
better and much faster.

Got a pool thats not being used for anything? Car frame is what...15'
long by 5-6' wide?

That could be done in a plastic lined hole in the ground and only cost
you shovel time and multiple layers of plastic.

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/3/2018 3:49 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

All of that sounds fascinating, but for a one off project like a car
frame wouldn't a sand blaster and a big bag of glass beads be the
answer? Some time back I converted a boat trailer into a flatbed
utility trailer. We did the whole thing, and blew the slag off the
welds we couldn't reach with a hammer or a wire wheel with a hand held
self contained sand blasting gun and a bag of playground sand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 04:55:20 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Ditto sandblasting the grunge. Then wash with phosphoric acid prep.

Klean-Strip 1 gal. Phosphoric Prep and Etch $15.98 @ Home Depot.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Absolutely. I wouldnt try electrolysis on a car frame on a
bet...well..if there were enough money involved...but...

Thats why I have a portable blaster tank and a few hundred pounds of
playground sand in bags out in the back 40.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 6:27:40 AM UTC-4, unk wrote:
I've done some electrolytic derusting of small things with a 10 amp
battery charger. Works great, biggest was a Vespa frame, took some days
as I recall.

Now I'm thinking of a car frame. I don't mind leaving it for a while, but
is that charger going to do anything at all or is there a sort of
threshold current/area ratio?

There are thresholds, but explaining it is not simple:

"The current density used in electrolytic reduction is expressed as the number of amperes per unit of artifact surface area that is
introduced into the electrolytic cell by an external DC power supply, such as one ampere per square centimeter (1 amp/cm2). Current
density ranging from 0.001 to 1 amp/cm2 have been proposed for use in electrolytic cleaning (Plenderleith 1956:195; Plenderleith and
Torraca 1968:242; Plenderleith and Werner 1971:198; Pearson 1972a:12; Townsend 1972:252), but guides to the application of specific
current densities are seldom given."

I paste that just to show that the subject has been dealt with scientifically. I'll give some references below, if you really want to get on top of the subject.

First, I'm going to second the recommendations of others and suggest sandblasting. I watched my father's boat trailer being sandblasted around 30 years ago; it was quick, thorough, and fairly cheap. It started to rust again in about an hour g, but that was in salt air on the shore of Barnegat Bay. If you live near salt water, you should be able to find these services.

But if you want to go with electrolysis, which I do all the time on small objects using different methods, keep in mind that the archaeological restorers who used the method to restore the 18th-century 6-pounder cannons from Blackbeard's "Queen Anne's Revenge," which weighed one ton each and were English cast iron, used a setup of less than one ampere for a whole cannon. However, the process takes five to seven years...

Don't get discouraged. They were not concerned with removing rust. They were reducing the levels of salt that had penetrated the iron's pores. That's a whole different problem.

Speaking of problems, you're going to have to strip any remaining paint, anyway, or you may find lots of pockets *under* the paint, where it got nicked and the rust spread under the paint. Electrolytic rust removal, in my experience, won't do much about them unless you get the paint off first. So you'd might as well go with sandblasting to begin with.

If you really want to understand electrolytic rust removal, these are my two favorite references. I follow the low-amperage route except when I'm using the "wand" method, with a carbon electrode. I use a piece of an old EDM electrode for that. You won't find much literature about it. It's good for thin layers of rust on small objects. It would take a month or so with a car frame.

These are the references I like. They're worth downloading for some day when you want to get into the electrolytic process:

"Rust Removal Using Electrolysis" by Andrew Westcott:

https://www.qsl.net/2e0waw/rust.htm

"Methods for Conserving Archaeological Material from Underwater Sites" by Donny L. Hamilton, Conservation Research Laboratory, Center for Maritime Archaeology and Conservation, Texas A&M University

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/CRL/conserv...tionManual.pdf

The latter is the source of the quote I pasted above.

Good luck!

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 03 Sep 2018 03:49:16 -0700
[...]

And when he is done, he can pour concrete and have a swimming
pool.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Sep 2018 09:28:17 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Or a resting place for a nagging mother in law..in which case the form
goes on the outside of the hole.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In the UK it's illegal to sand blast with silica sand due to the
silicosis hazard, is that also the case in the US. I occasionally use
black beauty (copper slag IIRC) or glass beads, aluminium oxide or
silicon carbide.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No, except for some local rules. In 2017 and 2018, new OSHA federal rules went into effect that severely limit silica *exposure* in some industries, but they don't outlaw the use of silica sand itself for sandblasting.

I occasionally use
black beauty (copper slag IIRC) or glass beads, aluminium oxide or
silicon carbide.

We have a variety of blasting media that are used by industry, nearly all of which are more effective than silica sand.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It varies from state to state and city by city. Frankly...I wouldnt
care if it were illegal. Ive no neighbors close enough to bother and
of course I blast with a filter mask if not working in the blast
cabinet.

Shrug.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

wrote:

[...]

software.

In the UK it's illegal to sand blast with silica sand due to the
silicosis hazard, is that also the case in the US. I occasionally
use black beauty (copper slag IIRC) or glass beads, aluminium oxide
or silicon carbide.

I bought some Black Beauty at the source, a coal fired power plant.
http://www.marco.us/abrasives/coal-s...auty-coal-slag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In the UK it's illegal to sand blast with silica sand due to the
silicosis hazard, is that also the case in the US. I occasionally use
black beauty (copper slag IIRC) or glass beads, aluminium oxide or
silicon carbide.

Many US states allow it as long as it is blown wet, keeping the
airborne silica down to a minimum. But OSHA is trying to kill it.
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blastone.com%2FBlastOne%2Fmedia %2FBlastOne%2FKnowledge%2520Articles%2FDownloads%2 FB3365_OSHA-Silica-Sand-Rule_Compliance-Workbook-with-Checklist.pdf

https://smile.amazon.com/MTM-Hydro-1.../dp/B004GQLDR8
Under $100 for the wet gun setup.