Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default How Would You Roof This Treehouse? (Rafter Layout)

On 9/4/2018 5:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 11:03:57 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My buddy is trying to determine the best way to roof the treehouse he is building. He is ready to start cutting the rafters, but he is not sure how
to deal with the trunks. You'll notice the issue immediately.

We have some ideas, but I don't want to influence anyone, so I'll keep them
to myself for now.

This question is mainly about rafter layout, not about sealing the roof
from rain, although suggestions/experience related to that are also welcome.

Ground Level View

https://i.imgur.com/AS3HhDw.jpg

Crotch Level View (leave it alone!)
The board is there just to show the height of the crotch

https://i.imgur.com/xuP7NfY.jpg

Bird's Eye View (simulated)

https://i.imgur.com/VI41CBE.jpg

The smaller branches are not an issue, they will be cut. It's the 2 main
trunks that need to be dealt with. Based on the location of the trunks,
neither 16" OC or 24" OC will clear them.

Have fun!

So here is what my buddy ended up doing. He totally expects some leakage
down the tree trunk and will deal with it - or not - once the rest of the
tree house is done.

Boxed out trees, rafter layout:

https://i.imgur.com/XnBzu9y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/evhVIRB.jpg

Inner tubes used for seals, shingled roof.
Tar, etc. will strategically applied later

https://i.imgur.com/ic9HNZg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Drt85Ph.jpg

Exterior view so far- Funky look of siding is caused by coating of sawdust
which will be cleaned off.

https://i.imgur.com/Idjtg2N.jpg

I know that 20/20 hind sight is pretty common but it appears that this
is not so much of a tree house as a small storage room with a tree
interrupting the middle of it. Might have been just as effective and
easier if built close to the tree. Cool solution but I guess it became
an exercise in solving a problem vs. what it ended up being.