Mark Jerde

Default Replace Functioning Water Heater?

We have lived in this house 8-10 years. The natural gas water heater is the
same as when we moved in. One major benefit it has is it is pilot-light
enabled -- it doesn't require electricity. I have taken many hot showers by
candle light when the power has been off 2+ days here in Maryland USA.

What I DON'T want to have happen is come home one day to a flood of water
coming out of the utility room from the water heater after a catastrophic
failure.

Is it a "normal, good" practice to replace a water heater after a certain #
of years, whether or not it is still working fine?

Thanks.

-- Mark