Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electrolytic de-rusting current question

Gunner Asch on Mon, 03 Sep 2018 03:49:16 -0700
On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 10:27:37 +0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I've done some electrolytic derusting of small things with a 10 amp
battery charger. Works great, biggest was a Vespa frame, took some days
as I recall.

Now I'm thinking of a car frame. I don't mind leaving it for a while, but
is that charger going to do anything at all or is there a sort of
threshold current/area ratio?

1. Can you locate a suitable container to hold that much water and
TSP along with a car frame?

If so...yes..it will work. You will need more than 10 amps of
power..simply because its a much much bigger surface. You will be
able to do it with 10 amps..but it will take much..much longer.

You will also need to put extra electrodes along the frame to allow
good electrical connection through the water along the sides of the
frame. You may..may have to turn the frame over once one side is
derusted so the current can do the other side.

If you put electrodes along both sides of the car frame..it will work
better and much faster.

Got a pool thats not being used for anything? Car frame is what...15'
long by 5-6' wide?

That could be done in a plastic lined hole in the ground and only cost
you shovel time and multiple layers of plastic.

And when he is done, he can pour concrete and have a swimming
pool.
--
pyotr filipivich