L Beck

Default bathroom floor and toilet flange

The saga continues.

Okay, so we pulled up the toilet in preparation to start the process of
laying down a new tile floor and discovered water damage severe enough to
have to replace the sewer pipe and a new flange. The damage was also enough
that we pulled up the old 1/2" particle board underlayment that was under
the vinyl (it was swelled pretty badly). Here's the problem - when we
replaced that 1/2" underlayment with 1/2" plywood that we know is the same
thickness (laid it next to some of the good stuff that wasn't damaged) the
flange no longer sits on the floor. We've got about a 1/4" gap.

One idea is to put down 1/4" plywood over the whole floor. However, by the
time we do that, we'll be raising the overall height of the new floor 3/4"
intead of 1/2" (we've got an adapter that will raise the flange connector
that much). However, if we just put a 1/4" ring under the flange so that it
sits correctly on the underflooring, then lay the new floor, will that
spacer then make the flange assembly too high and cause the toilet to sit
too high off the floor? Or if we leave the adapter out will we have trouble
with the top of the flange not sitting flush on the bottom of the toilet?

We're in a bit of a dilemna here. Do they make 1/4" flange adapters? The
sewer pipe cannot be pushed down - it sits on another water pipe (don't
ask - we didn't build the house, and the basement ceiling is finished).

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, we'd be very grateful to hear them.
This has turned into the project from hell. Completely redid the whole
bathroom - walls, tub (refinished, not replaced), cabinets (repainted),
sink, and walls. The floor was the last piece, and it's turned into a major
undertaking.

Thanks to all in advance.

LB