Posted to rec.woodworking

Default $50 Dust Collection Unit - Should I "Upgrade"?

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 11:05:45 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

However, if the 1HP unit is quiet enough to be left exposed, I sure could use the storage room.

I'll use my standard "bidding" technique. "You're asking $50. I'll offer
you $40 and we can settle at $45. How's that sound?" That technique works
almost every time.

I am tighter than a top on a banjo when it comes to spending money on tools, but I have had a couple of those units and they are well worth the money. For $50, I wouldn't have haggled. Sometimes things are priced to move up front.

That being said, if you run across another one close to that price you should buy it. Leon is right, they are motored different than a shop vac. Although not "quiet" they aren't loud either. I still use mine and they have held up for years. They will do light vacuuming and pick up a lot of dust and dirt of all sizes with the larger micron bag attached. I don't use it much for a vacuum as I have three or four shop vacs, including one that I use inside houses that is equipped with a HEPA filter.

I use that machine mostly for dust removal from the air and they run all day long without stopping. I have made a manifold that is about 6 inches high and about 24 inches across that I hang or suspend someway on the job. I put the machine in the next room and just run a hose to it. That way it is quiet where I am working, and these unit move a lot of air easily. Replacement bags are cheap on Amazon - https://goo.gl/6E9wF7 - and come anywhere from 1 micron (too fine for my use) to 30 micron which is too coarse for my normal use.

With several bags available, it really makes this machine versatile. I have used it in a client's garage and simply screwed the whole machine to the wall and used it as an air filter. Working in different rooms of a house, it is easy to change filters bags as needed and simply move the unit from room to room.

Before they came up with HEPA filters for shop vacs, I used it when I was doing a lot of refinishing. I had a BOSCH sander that I really liked. I bought a reducer, put the unit outside and turned it on, and connected it to the sander. Due to its large cfm vacuum capability, there was never any dust in the room I when I was sanding.

Love those roll around units...

Robert