Posted to rec.woodworking

Default $50 Dust Collection Unit - Should I "Upgrade"?

This is my current dust collection system. It's crude but it works for my
very small shop. I can easily swap the hose between the miter saw and a longer
hose that runs along the ceiling which can be connected to other tools, be used
for general shop clean up etc. The Rigid vac is rated at 3.5 HP.

https://i.imgur.com/kqQYgk1.jpg

I found this listing on Offer-Up for $50. It's a 1 HP portable dust collection
unit.

https://i.imgur.com/4HH2weq.png

I've never used a unit like that one. Would this be an upgrade to my current
set-up? I would still want to house the unit in the cabinet to keep the noise
down so I would need a way to attach it to the Dust Deputy since there is not
enough room in the cabinet for the bag. Obviously some hose adapters will be
required.

Is it worth trying to make this unit fit the space?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2018 8:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I would say any dust collection that uses an induction vs. universal
brush type motor will be better and quieter. Rockler IIRC sells a
similar unit and shows the unit mounted on a wall with the bag below. I
have a much larger Jet DC with Pleated filter. While not whisper quiet,
like the Festool Dust Extractor, it is much quieter than most any
inexpensive shop vac. For the unit to be efficient and operate at
maximum potential I would not advise housing the collector where as the
unit would have a restriction on exhaust. Basically you do not want to
put the unit is a container that would cause the container to become
pressurized while the unit is running.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 11:42:02 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

You can't see it in the picture, but the back of my miter saw cabinet has
a ~2" x ~24" opening in the back. IOW the back panel is 2" shorter than
the cabinet height for both exhaust and less heat build up. I can feel the
exhaust when the vac is on. No "pressurization" issues that I am aware of.

However, if the 1HP unit is quiet enough to be left exposed, I sure could use the storage room.

I'll use my standard "bidding" technique. "You're asking $50. I'll offer
you $40 and we can settle at $45. How's that sound?" That technique works
almost every time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2018 11:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Understood, but a DC is going to have much more volume than a shop vac.
Just something to consider, if you put the DC in there and it does not
perform as well as when out in the open. The less restriction, the
better it is going to perform. AND these bag type DC's want to blow out
from all of the bag surface area. If you cover any of that up you are
cutting down on the efficiency. The bag laying in the open on the floor
would not be as efficient as when the bag is hanging under the blower on
a wall.

Keep us posted!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 12:41:11 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

Question: How do these things work when it comes to larger-than-dust objects?

Can it pick up nuts, bolts, small cut-offs like a shop vac can? The current
set-up, with the cyclone device, keeps all debris out of the vac itself. Would
I need to use that for larger-than-dust items? The debris doesn't go though the
impeller does it?

Question: What's the difference between the portable device we're discussing
and the full size ones with 2 bags, top and bottom? What's that upper bag for?

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

Quite well.

Can it pick up nuts, bolts, small cut-offs like a shop vac can?

Yes.

The current
set-up, with the cyclone device, keeps all debris out of the vac itself. Would
I need to use that for larger-than-dust items? The debris doesn't go though the
impeller does it?

Question: What's the difference between the portable device we're discussing
and the full size ones with 2 bags, top and bottom? What's that upper bag for?

more filter surface area, particularly as the bottom bag fills.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2018 12:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 12:41:11 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/28/2018 11:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 11:42:02 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/28/2018 8:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I would try to retain the cyclone to collect those larger pieces, in
fact, collect most all of the debris as you are currently doing. That
will protect the impeller which the debris must pass by (sans a cyclone)
before landing in the bag.

When you say the full-size ones with two bags top and bottom, it sounds
like you're describing the Jet type dust collectors. Mine has a plastic
bag on the bottom which is where the debris is collected. The top used
to have a filter bag which I replaced with the Dust Dog pleated filter.
That's all the top bag is for, to filter the air before returning it to
the shop.

I've seen some collectors with two bags in a configuration similar to
what you're considering buying. In those instances, BOTH bags filter
and collect debris.

Using the cyclone with a good sized container should do the trick for you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I was too late. It's been sold.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

It sucks that up too.

Soooo I have 30' of 4" hose attached to my collector. The hose goes
straight up to the back area of the garage door track and crosses over
to the opposite side and then comes back down to the floor. This
serves two purposes. It give me a place to store most of the hose so
that when I don't need all 30' I'm not tripping over it. Also with the
hose going up 7' it helps to prevent most heavier objects from quickly
going to the collector. Sometimes I suck up things that I don't want to
suck up. For example a steel wool pad or pencil etc. I'm waiting for
the day I suck up my remote.... so far I have avoided that.

Can it pick up nuts, bolts, small cut-offs like a shop vac can? The current
set-up, with the cyclone device, keeps all debris out of the vac itself. Would
I need to use that for larger-than-dust items? The debris doesn't go though the
impeller does it?

Yes It can suck up screws, nuts, cut offs, etc. See my explanation
above for a way to help prevent the wrong stuff from going through the
impeller. AND of course. the better/stronger the DC the more it can lift.
Yes, the dust goes through the impeller. And a cyclone would help
filter the bigger stuff but I also understand that the cyclones cut down
on suction. Nothing is perfect.

Question: What's the difference between the portable device we're discussing
and the full size ones with 2 bags, top and bottom? What's that upper bag for?

In the single bag situation the bag acts as the filter and the
collector. With the two bag units the lower bag catches the bulk and
normally does not let air penetrate. It is normally a plastic bag. The
upper bag is strictly the filter/air outlet. Oddly the cloth upper bags
tend to filter better once they get a coating of dust covering the
inside surface.

The unit you are looking at will probably be better than the typical
shop vac but will be more to deal with when the bag fills. If you can
possibly afford the price and space I would strongly suggest a unit with
a pleated paper filter on top and a plastic bag on bottom.

If you want pictures of my setup I'll be happy to post.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2018 12:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 12:41:11 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/28/2018 11:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 11:42:02 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/28/2018 8:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

Understood, but a DC is going to have much more volume than a shop vac.
Just something to consider, if you put the DC in there and it does not
perform as well as when out in the open.Â* The less restriction, the
better it is going to perform.Â* AND these bag type DC's want to blow out
from all of the bag surface area.Â* If you cover any of that up you are
cutting down on the efficiency.Â* The bag laying in the open on the floor
[...]

fact, collect most all of the debris as you are currently doing.Â* That
will protect the impeller which the debris must pass by (sans a cyclone)
before landing in the bag.

When you say the full-size ones with two bags top and bottom, it sounds
like you're describing the Jet type dust collectors.Â* Mine has a plastic
bag on the bottom which is where the debris is collected.Â* The top used
to have a filter bag which I replaced with the Dust Dog pleated filter.
That's all the top bag is for, to filter the air before returning it to
the shop.

I've seen some collectors with two bags in a configuration similar to
what you're considering buying.Â* In those instances, BOTH bags filter
and collect debris.

Using the cyclone with a good sized container should do the trick for you.

With the small cyclone, it may be pointless to upgrade the DC. It will
be too restrictive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2018 11:00 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

sounds like you're describing the Jet type dust collectors.Â* Mine has
a plastic bag on the bottom which is where the debris is collected.
The top used to have a filter bag which I replaced with the Dust Dog
pleated filter. That's all the top bag is for, to filter the air
before returning it to the shop.

I've seen some collectors with two bags in a configuration similar to
what you're considering buying.Â* In those instances, BOTH bags filter
and collect debris.

Using the cyclone with a good sized container should do the trick for
you.

With the small cyclone, it may be pointless to upgrade the DC.Â* It will
be too restrictive.

Good point. I was thinking cyclone, not remembering that he had a small
one. Even one of those garbage can lid-types would be better than nothing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2018 10:58 AM, Leon wrote:

In the single bag situation the bag acts as the filter and the
collector.Â* With the two bag units the lower bag catches the bulk and
normally does not let air penetrate.Â* It is normally a plastic bag.Â* The
upper bag is strictly the filter/air outlet.Â* Oddly the cloth upper bags
tend to filter better once they get a coating of dust covering the
inside surface.

Unless you upgrade or buy upper/top-end unit, run-of-the-mill DC filter
bags are typically 5, 10 or even 30(!) micron so fines are pretty easy
to get by. What _is_ trapped simply blocks some of the open pore area
effectively making it a better filter (with reduced air flow, of course).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2018 12:40 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/29/2018 10:58 AM, Leon wrote:

In the single bag situation the bag acts as the filter and the
collector.Â* With the two bag units the lower bag catches the bulk and
normally does not let air penetrate.Â* It is normally a plastic bag.
The upper bag is strictly the filter/air outlet.Â* Oddly the cloth
upper bags tend to filter better once they get a coating of dust
covering the inside surface.

Unless you upgrade or buy upper/top-end unit, run-of-the-mill DC filter
bags are typically 5, 10 or even 30(!) micron so fines are pretty easy
to get by.Â* What _is_ trapped simply blocks some of the open pore area
effectively making it a better filter (with reduced air flow, of course).

--

Absolutely! And even the better pleated units become caked inside, but
fortunately you can spin the brush inside and increase the efficiency
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2018 12:53 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/29/2018 12:40 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/29/2018 10:58 AM, Leon wrote:

In the single bag situation the bag acts as the filter and the
collector.Â* With the two bag units the lower bag catches the bulk and
normally does not let air penetrate.Â* It is normally a plastic bag.
The upper bag is strictly the filter/air outlet.Â* Oddly the cloth
upper bags tend to filter better once they get a coating of dust
covering the inside surface.

Unless you upgrade or buy upper/top-end unit, run-of-the-mill DC
filter bags are typically 5, 10 or even 30(!) micron so fines are
pretty easy to get by.Â* What _is_ trapped simply blocks some of the
open pore area effectively making it a better filter (with reduced air
flow, of course).

--

Absolutely!Â* And even the better pleated units become caked inside, but
fortunately you can spin the brush inside and increase the efficiency
when suction drops.

One pretty-telling giveaway on whether the unit is being rated by the
vendor such that its CFM rating is dodgy is having one a much coarser
filter in order to get the airflow up for the spec's. As soon as you
get it home and use it a little, it quite possibly won't come even close
to that.

Moral is, don't buy the lowest-priced unit you find expecting to upgrade
the filter and then still have the CFM you (thought) you bought.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 11:05:45 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

However, if the 1HP unit is quiet enough to be left exposed, I sure could use the storage room.

I'll use my standard "bidding" technique. "You're asking $50. I'll offer
you $40 and we can settle at $45. How's that sound?" That technique works
almost every time.

I am tighter than a top on a banjo when it comes to spending money on tools, but I have had a couple of those units and they are well worth the money. For $50, I wouldn't have haggled. Sometimes things are priced to move up front.

That being said, if you run across another one close to that price you should buy it. Leon is right, they are motored different than a shop vac. Although not "quiet" they aren't loud either. I still use mine and they have held up for years. They will do light vacuuming and pick up a lot of dust and dirt of all sizes with the larger micron bag attached. I don't use it much for a vacuum as I have three or four shop vacs, including one that I use inside houses that is equipped with a HEPA filter.

I use that machine mostly for dust removal from the air and they run all day long without stopping. I have made a manifold that is about 6 inches high and about 24 inches across that I hang or suspend someway on the job. I put the machine in the next room and just run a hose to it. That way it is quiet where I am working, and these unit move a lot of air easily. Replacement bags are cheap on Amazon - https://goo.gl/6E9wF7 - and come anywhere from 1 micron (too fine for my use) to 30 micron which is too coarse for my normal use.

With several bags available, it really makes this machine versatile. I have used it in a client's garage and simply screwed the whole machine to the wall and used it as an air filter. Working in different rooms of a house, it is easy to change filters bags as needed and simply move the unit from room to room.

Before they came up with HEPA filters for shop vacs, I used it when I was doing a lot of refinishing. I had a BOSCH sander that I really liked. I bought a reducer, put the unit outside and turned it on, and connected it to the sander. Due to its large cfm vacuum capability, there was never any dust in the room I when I was sanding.

Love those roll around units...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 8/29/2018 12:40 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Or you can just smack the upper bag a couple of times.