Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default $50 Dust Collection Unit - Should I "Upgrade"?

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 11:42:02 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/28/2018 8:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
This is my current dust collection system. It's crude but it works for my
very small shop. I can easily swap the hose between the miter saw and a longer
hose that runs along the ceiling which can be connected to other tools, be used
for general shop clean up etc. The Rigid vac is rated at 3.5 HP.

https://i.imgur.com/kqQYgk1.jpg

I found this listing on Offer-Up for $50. It's a 1 HP portable dust collection
unit.

https://i.imgur.com/4HH2weq.png

I've never used a unit like that one. Would this be an upgrade to my current
set-up? I would still want to house the unit in the cabinet to keep the noise
down so I would need a way to attach it to the Dust Deputy since there is not
enough room in the cabinet for the bag. Obviously some hose adapters will be
required.

Is it worth trying to make this unit fit the space?

Thanks!

I would say any dust collection that uses an induction vs. universal
brush type motor will be better and quieter. Rockler IIRC sells a
similar unit and shows the unit mounted on a wall with the bag below. I
have a much larger Jet DC with Pleated filter. While not whisper quiet,
like the Festool Dust Extractor, it is much quieter than most any
inexpensive shop vac. For the unit to be efficient and operate at
maximum potential I would not advise housing the collector where as the
unit would have a restriction on exhaust. Basically you do not want to
put the unit is a container that would cause the container to become
pressurized while the unit is running.

You can't see it in the picture, but the back of my miter saw cabinet has
a ~2" x ~24" opening in the back. IOW the back panel is 2" shorter than
the cabinet height for both exhaust and less heat build up. I can feel the
exhaust when the vac is on. No "pressurization" issues that I am aware of.

However, if the 1HP unit is quiet enough to be left exposed, I sure could use the storage room.

I'll use my standard "bidding" technique. "You're asking $50. I'll offer
you $40 and we can settle at $45. How's that sound?" That technique works
almost every time.