Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default ISP speed adjusting praticality

On 23/08/2018 18:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just this week moved to fibre (well VDSL), from ADSL. On ADSL I
was connecting at 18Mbs, speedtest at around fairly consistent 16Mbs.

I was moved in the early hours of Tuesday morning, since when speedtest
results have been all over the place - sometimes 31Mbs, sometimes
10Mbs. My initial tests showed a steady, 30Mbs with the ISP supplied
dumbed down router.

I bought a second identicle router, but with OpenWRT installed. I spent
much of Tuesday trying to gets it configuration settings to work,
swapping to that and back to the ISP router, between times, until I
finally got the OpenWRT to work - so multiple times.

Throughout, a connect speed was reported of a steady 40,000Mbs/9.000Mbs,
yet actual speedtests showed wild variations. Are the wild variations
part of the system settling in and how long might it go on for?

The period of adaptation applies only to the last bit of the link - i.e.
the xDSL connection performance. So generally if that is steady then
chances are the problem is in the backhaul connection between your
exchange and the ISP.

The exception to that might be if you are getting a high intermittent
error rate on the local connection. In which case that may improve with
time as the DSLAM learns to rate adapt down a bit for a slightly slower
but more stable connection. If you router can show you the error rate on
the line that can be instructive - you may be able to see periods with a
large increase in errors detected. Sometimes forcing the router to
retrain at that point can get better results.

--
Cheers,

John.