Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Cordless impact screwdriver V cordless hammer drill?

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 16:41:41 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Speed controllers vary

Judging by some of the responses here, they must vary quite a bit!
Also, how much they appear to vary could be down to the latent power /
torque of the device in general. eg, if they are 'pretty torquy, then
the speed controller can be more linear.

- some will deliver decent torque at low revs,

If you hold the chuck firmly with you hand and just slowly squeeze the
trigger, I suggest most people would be forced to let go of it (for
fear of taking skin off their hands) and when they do it would still
only be doing a few RPM.

other less so.

Mostly the cheaper offerings from what I've experienced so far. Even
the DD daughter brought from Lidl (along with a circular and jig saw)
works pretty well but isn't a patch on this FatMax.

The modern brushless tools are probably best in that
respect since they try to deliver constant rotational speed under a
varying load.

I've not tried any brushless anything yet. [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] A couple of mates fancied racing RC Electric cars and went out and
spent quite a bit getting set up from scratch. I dragged out all my
old stuff (NiMH, brushed motor) and we turned up at the local club
(where I was a bit of a point of amusement because of all my old
gear).

Mates had written their cars off within the first couple of heats and
I ended up 3rd in the main final (much to everyone's surprise,
especially me!). ;-)