Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Removing granite worktop

On 20/08/2018 12:06, wrote:
Hi all

Some friends have moved into a new house some time ago and their integrated dishwasher has recently failed. Cutting a long story short it transpires that the precious owner has fitted very thick stone "tiles" on the floor right up the dishwasher meaning that the dishwasher can not be pulled out. Only real option seems to be to remove the worktop above it.

The worktop piece is small covering the dishwasher plus around 300mm of the corner unit. Both ends are masticed to another piece of worktop. To add further complexity, the wall tiles have been tiled down to the top of the worktop and there is a tap hole on one of the joints (although removing the tap should remove that problem)

What is the best way of getting the worktop out without breaking it? My initial thought was to cut the mastic under the worktop with a long blade (eg those snap off ones) hoping that it is not stuck as the rear edge as that is inaccessible due to the dishwasher being in the way. Then hoping I can lever it up and slide out from under the tiles. Will this work?

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

Before you even think of removing the worktop get the install manual for
the dishwasher.

On my Bosch one you put a screwdriver in a hole at the bottom and can
jack the whole thing up and down by a couple of inches to allow you to
slide it in and then make it flush with the worktop.
I would not be surprised if others don't have similar arrangements or
they would be very hard to get in and out.