Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing granite worktop

Hi all

Some friends have moved into a new house some time ago and their integrated dishwasher has recently failed. Cutting a long story short it transpires that the precious owner has fitted very thick stone "tiles" on the floor right up the dishwasher meaning that the dishwasher can not be pulled out. Only real option seems to be to remove the worktop above it.

The worktop piece is small covering the dishwasher plus around 300mm of the corner unit. Both ends are masticed to another piece of worktop. To add further complexity, the wall tiles have been tiled down to the top of the worktop and there is a tap hole on one of the joints (although removing the tap should remove that problem)

What is the best way of getting the worktop out without breaking it? My initial thought was to cut the mastic under the worktop with a long blade (eg those snap off ones) hoping that it is not stuck as the rear edge as that is inaccessible due to the dishwasher being in the way. Then hoping I can lever it up and slide out from under the tiles. Will this work?

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2018 12:06, wrote:
Hi all

Some friends have moved into a new house some time ago and their integrated dishwasher has recently failed. Cutting a long story short it transpires that the precious owner has fitted very thick stone "tiles" on the floor right up the dishwasher meaning that the dishwasher can not be pulled out. Only real option seems to be to remove the worktop above it.

Wouldn't the appliance be shorter in height than the height of the
opening. Can the appliance be lifted up before pulling it out. There may
be a cosmetic blanking plate at the top/front that can be removed.

In a similar situation in my mothers' house I managed to get a washing
machine out by using a sack barrow[1] at the front to lever it up and
pull it out at the same time.

Sods law said the back was resting on a block of wood and getting it
back in required the use of the sack barrow and a length of rope to
firmly tie the appliance to the barrow to hold the back of the appliance
high enough to put it back on the wood.

You can also lever up an appliance using a garden spade at the front
with a scrap of wood as the fulcrum point if required. The spade also
acts as a sledge to pull the appliance forward. Just watch out for
cracking/chipping the edge of the tiles which may not matter if covered
with a kicking board.

[1]
Sack barrow
https://www.screwfix.com/p/standard-...ck-150kg/6374p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2018 12:06, wrote:
[...]

If it has failed terminally have you considered removing the door and
then removing the front feet? (An angle grinder may assist.)

Fitting the replacement is of course another matter But IIRC the
"semi-integrated" models are significantly lower than free-standing
models and may slide in with a suitable "ramp".

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/18 13:31, Robin wrote:

If it has failed terminally have you considered removing the door and
then removing the front feet?Â* (An angle grinder may assist.)

Fitting the replacement is of course another matter But IIRC the
"semi-integrated" models are significantly lower than free-standing
models and may slide in with a suitable "ramp".

The Miele freestanding ones have an optional "build under" replacement
lid that knocks 20-30mm off the height, which would make replacement
easier (once the old one is out!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 20/08/2018 14:14, Tim Watts wrote:
On 20/08/18 13:31, Robin wrote:

If it has failed terminally have you considered removing the door and
then removing the front feet?Â* (An angle grinder may assist.)

As above, if failed terminally then I would if nothing else works get it
out in pieces, sledghammers and angle grinders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/18 13:31, Robin wrote:

If it has failed terminally have you considered removing the door and
then removing the front feet?* (An angle grinder may assist.)

As above, if failed terminally then I would if nothing else works get it
out in pieces, sledghammers and angle grinders.

It might be easier to remove the floor slab(s) in front of it.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/08/18 13:31, Robin wrote:

If it has failed terminally have you considered removing the door and
then removing the front feet?Â* (An angle grinder may assist.)

As above, if failed terminally then I would if nothing else works get it
out in pieces, sledghammers and angle grinders.

It might be easier to remove the floor slab(s) in front of it.

It's F***ing stupid to tile up to the front of any appliances,
regardless of the thickness of the tiles.

I went to a well-known chain of flooring shops, and they insisted they
can't fit sheet vinyl under the fridge or washing machine - both
freestanding. So, the first time you pull either of those out the new
vinyl will rip. Bloody cowboys!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/18 12:06, wrote:
[...]

Stone worktops could be secured with almost any kind of adhesive or
mastic. there has never been a standard best practice that I am aware of
but I haven't been in the trade for a few years.

I recall a wise fitter saying to put stone down on isolated blobs of
silicone, never a zig-zag coating because with a blob you had some
chance of getting a hack saw blade through it if you needed to get it
off again. They aren't all wise men though, by any means. You will maybe
just need to use patience, prudence and ingenuity and it may not even be
possible to get it off without damage. You might hope that the tiles are
spaced off the worktop so there is some sealant or grout you can remove
to gain some play.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like the designer used to work for Citroen cars by the design
concepts employed here.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"TimW" wrote in message
news
On 20/08/18 12:06,
wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2018 12:06, wrote:
[...]

Before you even think of removing the worktop get the install manual for
the dishwasher.

On my Bosch one you put a screwdriver in a hole at the bottom and can
jack the whole thing up and down by a couple of inches to allow you to
slide it in and then make it flush with the worktop.
I would not be surprised if others don't have similar arrangements or
they would be very hard to get in and out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 13:06:53 +0100, alan_m wrote:

... managed to get a washing machine out by using a sack barrow[1] at
the front to lever it up and pull it out at the same time.

You can also lever up an appliance using a garden spade at the front
with a scrap of wood as the fulcrum point if required.

Or you can get furniture lifters, first hit with decent
piccy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Furniture-L...sign-Rearrange
/dp/B075XF8TGL

Aldidle have something similar occasionally. Pretty good, lift and
move a bit with the lever to get the roller pads underneath. You do
need something smooth and hard for the rollers to run on though, they
are too small for carpet.

--
Cheers
Dave.