Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Removing granite worktop

Sounds like the designer used to work for Citroen cars by the design
concepts employed here.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"TimW" wrote in message
news
On 20/08/18 12:06,
wrote:
Hi all

Some friends have moved into a new house some time ago and their
integrated dishwasher has recently failed. Cutting a long story short it
transpires that the precious owner has fitted very thick stone "tiles" on
the floor right up the dishwasher meaning that the dishwasher can not be
pulled out. Only real option seems to be to remove the worktop above it.

The worktop piece is small covering the dishwasher plus around 300mm of
the corner unit. Both ends are masticed to another piece of worktop. To
add further complexity, the wall tiles have been tiled down to the top of
the worktop and there is a tap hole on one of the joints (although
removing the tap should remove that problem)

What is the best way of getting the worktop out without breaking it? My
initial thought was to cut the mastic under the worktop with a long blade
(eg those snap off ones) hoping that it is not stuck as the rear edge as
that is inaccessible due to the dishwasher being in the way. Then hoping
I can lever it up and slide out from under the tiles. Will this work?

Any ideas appreciated

Stone worktops could be secured with almost any kind of adhesive or
mastic. there has never been a standard best practice that I am aware of
but I haven't been in the trade for a few years.

I recall a wise fitter saying to put stone down on isolated blobs of
silicone, never a zig-zag coating because with a blob you had some chance
of getting a hack saw blade through it if you needed to get it off again.
They aren't all wise men though, by any means. You will maybe just need to
use patience, prudence and ingenuity and it may not even be possible to
get it off without damage. You might hope that the tiles are spaced off
the worktop so there is some sealant or grout you can remove to gain some
play.

TW