Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Cordless impact screwdriver V cordless hammer drill?

On 20/08/2018 13:28, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:58:54 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

If that is a re-badged DeWalt, would it not make sense to get an 18V
DeWalt ID "body only"?

Yes / no. It may be that for the cost of the body only I could get a
complete stand-alone solution that would be more than adequate for my
needs, given that it may not be as versatile as my existing (hammer)
drill driver ... or, it wouldn't be the best example of the genre for
a given price.

Also, the advantage to *me* of a ID over my existing (and so far,
perfectly adequate) DD, could be less than that for those who sound
like they might have 'weak' DD's?

If I were only allowed one rotational cordless tool, then I would go for
the 18V combi drill, since its the most versatile and will replace a
mains drill in most situations. I use mine for drilling - even with hole
saws and big augers, mixing plaster / small quantities of mortar etc and
various other jobs. It will also drive screws just fine. Armed with some
Bosch multimaterial bits it will even make a credible job on hard
masonry, when you don't want to get the SDS out.

If I were adding a ID at that point, then I am torn between the 18V and
the much smaller lighter 10.8V, but I would probably for for the 18V ID
as it is fast and powerful - it will hurl screws into joists, and
studwork very quickly and easily, and can also be fairly fine and
controlled if required. For building work I would not want to be without
it. However keep in mind I do a reasonable amount of what one might
class as building rather than more traditional DIY.

The smaller lighter one however is nice for smaller trim type work, and
furniture making - while I could cope without it (and indeed did for
years), its a "nice to have". (and in reality is has a much driving
torque as my big combi).

This is the 10.8V set I got (note there is another version about that
looks similar but only has a DD rather than a combi - so read the spec
carefully). This is the bag I would grab for many "fixing" applications.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DK14...+impact+driver

Having said that there seems to be only limited choice of dewalt/fatmax
body only tools... e.g:

https://www.trade-point.co.uk/depart...682357_TP.prd#

which is a bit more pricey since its the brushless version.

Sure.

The 'hype' here from some re ID's makes me want to give one a go (I
particularly respect your POV because I know you do your research, do
lots of nice work and have a wide range of tools, including (probably)
'good' DD's) but I keep harking back to the diy wiki that seems to
share my questions / reservations on ID's over DD's for 'most'
applications?

Probably worth keeping in mind that much of that wiki article was
written some time back when IDs were way more expensive and there was
much less in the way of choice. Also some of the content was directed at
the frequent discussions going on here at the time suggesting that IDs
were good general replacement for a drill, or an angle drill, or just
confusing them with the mechanic's tool of the same name.

Might be time to tweak it a bit.

How much would I want to spend if my existing DD does (guess) 90% of
what any single tool could do (for *me*) and how much work of the type
where an ID might be 'better' do I do and so at what cost.

Much will come down to how much work you do with it, and also what type
you do. Not to mention how comfortable you are with powered screw
driving in general - some of it takes practice to develop technique to
do it easily.

I'm not suggesting you are trying to pressure or convince me to get an
ID of course g, I'm just thinking out loud why / how / when an ID
could be 'worth it' to me? (Considering I rarely even need an excuse
to buy more tools). ;-)

Nope not trying to pressure, more a suggestion that it would be worth
having a play with one and getting a feel for it. You may be pleasantly
surprised...

Some years back I did that with the one you see in the wiki - which at
the time cost me about £70 "body only" IIRC (where buying a full kit
would have been more like £300). I figured I could always stick it on
ebay if it did not work out. I have since acquired more of them on the
grounds that I found it more than good enough to warrant it.

I think there are three tools where I have had that kind of "wow, that
is so much better" moment... using a quality jigsaw after the DIY spec
ones, using a SDS drill after a normal "hammer" drill, and using an
impact driver after doing lots of powered driving with the combi drill.

(and keep in mind I built a whole loft conversion with that combi and
was not in any way dissatisfied with it - I rate it as an outstandingly
good tool)

--
Cheers,

John.