Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Removing granite worktop

On 20/08/2018 12:06, wrote:
Hi all

Some friends have moved into a new house some time ago and their integrated dishwasher has recently failed. Cutting a long story short it transpires that the precious owner has fitted very thick stone "tiles" on the floor right up the dishwasher meaning that the dishwasher can not be pulled out. Only real option seems to be to remove the worktop above it.

Wouldn't the appliance be shorter in height than the height of the
opening. Can the appliance be lifted up before pulling it out. There may
be a cosmetic blanking plate at the top/front that can be removed.

In a similar situation in my mothers' house I managed to get a washing
machine out by using a sack barrow[1] at the front to lever it up and
pull it out at the same time.

Sods law said the back was resting on a block of wood and getting it
back in required the use of the sack barrow and a length of rope to
firmly tie the appliance to the barrow to hold the back of the appliance
high enough to put it back on the wood.

You can also lever up an appliance using a garden spade at the front
with a scrap of wood as the fulcrum point if required. The spade also
acts as a sledge to pull the appliance forward. Just watch out for
cracking/chipping the edge of the tiles which may not matter if covered
with a kicking board.

[1]
Sack barrow
https://www.screwfix.com/p/standard-...ck-150kg/6374p