Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Cordless impact screwdriver V cordless hammer drill?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 09:20:54 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 00:42:53 +0100, T i m wrote:

"Electric screwdriver" can include anything from the 2.8V B&D
screwdriver up really - at the low end they turn and can spin

screws in
and out but usually lack the oomph to do the final tightening.

That is my experience of them (but not with my Fat Max drill etc).

Have an ancient B&D screwdriver, has a gear box between motor and bit
drive and gives plenty of torque.

Same with my old Bosch driver, considering how old / basic it is.

The trade off is that it doesn't
spin things in or out particulary fast.

True, but if you aren't doing stuff for a living ... ?

It's still quicker and easier
than a manual screwdriver.

Agreed. I *can* see the advantages / benefits to a straight electric
screwdriver.

As the gear box locks when not driven by
the motor it also makes for a very powerful, by virtue of the large
grip, manual screwdriver as well.

Agreed, although I'm not sure that feature applies to all electric
screwdrivers (especially 'in those days')?

Don't use the ordinary drill/driver to drive screws.

Ok? ;-)

The control of
speed and torque is far too tricky.

Again, I think that can be very much down to the quality / power /
design of the drill. O=I have driven many screws with my Fat Max to
the point where I have been questioning why anyone would want anything
different? Maybe those here who are advocates of the ID haven't
actually used such a DD?

Give it enough "go" to get a fast
drive, when the screw gets tight the torque shoots up as the motor is
stalled and the bit chews the screw head or cams out and bounces
across the work...

Yup and exactly what I don't get with my drill. I squeeze the trigger
and the drill starts of at about 1 rev per second and will carry on at
that speed till the screw is buried deep in the wood?

I have the drill here and if I put the chuck on 22 (of 22) and squeeze
the trigger I can't hold it back with my hand when it's turning very
slowly. Put it on 10 and the chuck 'hammers' and still going so slowly
that you could easily count the rotations.

Maybe not all cordless drill drivers are created equal?

Can you get a linear screwdriver style impact drivers or are they all
pistol grip type things?

I think you can get some that can be both.

Cheers, T i m