Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Cordless impact screwdriver V cordless hammer drill?

On 19/08/2018 12:40, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 12:11:07 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 19/08/2018 11:13, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 03:51:34 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

The only time I might use an electric drill / driver on any fastener
is when doing loads when speed is more important that finish or
tightening torque, like assembling a wooden shed. Eg, On anything
'important' I much prefer the feel and control of a manual screwdriver
(or spanner etc).

I only have a brace of Makitas, but the impact driver is *much* more
controllable than the drill

Because?

Because there is a lot of travel on the trigger for a small change in
angular speed.

(I hardly ever use the clutch on the drill,
though).

I do but generally only to minimise the risk of it doing something I
wouldn't with a manual screwdriver?

The impact driver must be ten times faster than a manual
screwdriver.

Understood ... but what if time isn't an issue?

Do you use an electric driver on your furniture builds OOI John?

I use mine on everything

Ok, and what is yours OOI (make / model)?

The obsolete Makita with the 14.4 NiCad, in my case. Same charger as my
18v drill driver. Batteries from both work on the DAB site radio too.
Charger will also do NiMH. I have some tagged NiMH sub D's to upgrade
worn out packs when I get round to it.

except electronics

My mate uses one on laptops all the time, but then he's running a PC
shop where time is important.

(and still use it on washing
machines, vacuums, etc).

I could see the value if you were a very busy person and / or time is
the issue but how many screws are there in a vacuum and does the bit
on reach all the screws? I'm not suggesting that it's isn't able to
meet all those, just checking if it does? ;-)

50 mm bits reach most things. Occasionally you will get one which is
more deeply recessed and needs an ordinary screwdriver.

Often not so many screws on a vacuum but you might have ten on the back
of a washing machine including the lid.

I used my drill driver as a driver the other day for screwing decking
type planks onto the top of an 'outdoor bench' using ss turbo screws
... because there were loads of screws, the holes were already
countersunk, the wood consistently soft and the clutch able to drive
most screws home but without overdoing them. I still had to finish a
off few by hand because they had hit denser timber and I didn't want
to have to adjust the clutch just for them.

Ideal job for impact driver.

I can't see how you can have both speed (like with a drill) and
control, especially without the use of a clutch.

There's no point explaining any more. You just need to borrow one and
see for yourself. The control system is really smart. It just is.