Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Cordless impact screwdriver V cordless hammer drill?

On 19/08/2018 12:04, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 10:57:40 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

Max torque on the drill will be significantly lower. Many 18V drills top
out at about 60Nm, and 18V ID will do north of 150Nm (although for
comparison a full on cordless impact wrench will usually do several
times that). Also the rotational impact action can be better at freeing
stuck fastenings than continuous torque.

+1. Once you actually use one you won't want to give it up.

So, I've used an electric screwdriver (the good Bosch one) and it was
'good', but for me, only for those repetitive jobs where control
wasn't an issue (especially running slotted brass screws into a brass
hinge etc).

But even with a clutch and on 'rough and ready jobs', you would get
some screw heads buried in the timber and others not deep enough to
create their own countersink?

Not a problem with a Makita impact driver IME. Because the control is
*far better* than with a standard drill driver. Even if you do go too
far you can back out one "click" which won't matter assuming you have
multiple screws. OK if you were doing really fancy cabinet work with
brass screws in hardwood you might want to finish off with a hand
screwdriver, especially if using slotted screws where the slots all need
to align.

That's the only sort of place where I would use slotted screws, BTW.

For undoing loads of cross-head screws I can see how they could be of
use (I've used my drill driver for that many times).

What would you suggest would be the typical 'perfect example' of a job
for such a driver?

Cheers, T i m