Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Cordless impact screwdriver V cordless hammer drill?

On 19/08/2018 12:40, T i m wrote:

I can't see how you can have both speed (like with a drill) and
control, especially without the use of a clutch.

I find clutches are a mixed blessing when trying to set screws to
consistent depth etc. In reality even if the clutch is good and offers
accurate repeatability, its rare that the material you are screwing into
does. So some finessing after the fact is still likely.

With an ID you can develop a "feel" for it and depth setting. I know for
example that if I want plenty of yield to not over drive something I can
use less speed (fewer impacts/min) but also hold the body of the driver
"looser" to allow the impact to kick the tool body a bit more if the
screw reaches its end stop.

--
Cheers,

John.