Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Cordless impact screwdriver V cordless hammer drill?

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 12:11:07 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 19/08/2018 11:13, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 03:51:34 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

The only time I might use an electric drill / driver on any fastener
is when doing loads when speed is more important that finish or
tightening torque, like assembling a wooden shed. Eg, On anything
'important' I much prefer the feel and control of a manual screwdriver
(or spanner etc).

I only have a brace of Makitas, but the impact driver is *much* more
controllable than the drill

Because?

(I hardly ever use the clutch on the drill,
though).

I do but generally only to minimise the risk of it doing something I
wouldn't with a manual screwdriver?

The impact driver must be ten times faster than a manual
screwdriver.

Understood ... but what if time isn't an issue?

Do you use an electric driver on your furniture builds OOI John?

I use mine on everything

Ok, and what is yours OOI (make / model)?

except electronics

My mate uses one on laptops all the time, but then he's running a PC
shop where time is important.

(and still use it on washing
machines, vacuums, etc).

I could see the value if you were a very busy person and / or time is
the issue but how many screws are there in a vacuum and does the bit
on reach all the screws? I'm not suggesting that it's isn't able to
meet all those, just checking if it does? ;-)

I used my drill driver as a driver the other day for screwing decking
type planks onto the top of an 'outdoor bench' using ss turbo screws
.... because there were loads of screws, the holes were already
countersunk, the wood consistently soft and the clutch able to drive
most screws home but without overdoing them. I still had to finish a
off few by hand because they had hit denser timber and I didn't want
to have to adjust the clutch just for them.

I can't see how you can have both speed (like with a drill) and
control, especially without the use of a clutch.

My Stanley Fat Max, on speed one and with the clutch disabled can go
as slow as I want with as much torque as I want to the point where it
would easily shear most screws off (or break my wrist). ;-(

I can see the value of something like my old Bosch electric
screwdriver as whilst it wasn't exactly fast it had reasonable torque
(considering) and because you held it like an ordinary screwdriver,
would fit anywhere an ordinary screwdriver would fit and because of
the auto-locking function to the drive, you could 'finish off' a screw
manually if you wanted (to get the tension 'just right').

I have used my mates electric (corded to it's own adjustable PSU) to
*undo* laptop screws but not do them up (fear of cross threading or
over-tightening and ripping the insert out of the plastic).

Cheers, T i m