Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Matsui 28WN20.

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 18:21:05 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 19:27:27 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
Google is being very evasive on this one!

28WN20.

Pretty sure the degauss thermistor has shattered and I'd rather not
have
hand trace to figure out whether its a PTC/PTC or PTC/NTC type.

Thanks for any help.

usually degaussing doesn't need to be fixed unless you move the tv. The
dual element thermistor can most likely be replaced by a standard one
from
almost any other colour tv.

Incorrect: there are 2 types - the usual one is dual PTC, the "spare" PTC
is
directly across the mains to heat the active one and cut it off. the very
early single PTC had a load resistor and fed to the coils via a 68V VDR.
Some are PTC/NTC - the NTC is heated by the current draw of the
TV/monitor
which also provides inrush surge limiting.

My TV has a single PTC and a time delay relay - fairly common on PC
monitors. Some had a front panel degauss button so you could do it
manually
as well as at power up.

The most common failure mode is the thermistor pellet sometimes
shatters -
my TV also has some electronics that could fail.

So plenty to choose from. Motor & magnet is another option.

Choose away - fitting a PTC/NTC where a PTC/PTC should be; usually blows
away a few copper tracks.