Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default I suppose I should have seen this coming

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , alan_m
wrote:

I've just come back from visiting friends who rent a place with an
expensive 'designer' bathroom.

Large free-standing bath which is extremly difficult to get out of
unless you roll over and start from a kneeling position.

Can anyone explain WTF the point of a "free-standing" bath is?
Especially as they always have curved edge-tops that you can't stand
anything (e.g. a shampoo bottle) on.

No. Unless it is related to baths not wearing out and limiting the
replacement sales opportunity.

Floor standing pillar bath taps which have always leaked and require a
towel around the pillar at the floor. Replacement taps of the same
design leaked again after a week.

Are they anchored at all? Otherwise, any attempt to turn them on/off
applies strain to the coupling at/below floor level.
Nice streamlined taps tops which are just chromed cylinders (no
indents or protrusions). Impossible to turn off with wet or soapy hands.

Or turn on, come to that. We had taps like that, Screwfix ones, in the
bathroom here. Useless - probably specified by the teenage daughters. I
replaced them with compatible cross-head ones, also from Screwfix.

I've gone for wall mounted as the bath is fitted in an alcove. One end
totally inaccessible for repairs and taps at the other might impede
climbing in/out. I'm relieved to see they are serviceable by removing
the chrome bezel but you do need two different size Allen keys and a box
spanner. The pipe connections are buried:-(

I hope you gave your friends a talking-to.

--
Tim Lamb