Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I suppose I should have seen this coming

On 11/08/2018 16:43, Tim Lamb wrote:

Brexit thread divert alert.... will we be able to source spares from
Italy in 2 years time?

For some of the designer-ware you would have difficulty getting spares
even now.

I've just come back from visiting friends who rent a place with an
expensive 'designer' bathroom.

Large free-standing bath which is extremly difficult to get out of
unless you roll over and start from a kneeling position.

Floor standing pillar bath taps which have always leaked and require a
towel around the pillar at the floor. Replacement taps of the same
design leaked again after a week.

Nice streamlined taps tops which are just chromed cylinders (no indents
or protrusions). Impossible to turn off with wet or soapy hands.

Close coupled toilet where the tank section was very narrow and 3 ft
high. When the flush mechanism failed the plumber employed by the
landlords' representative could source any spares and in the end fitted
a more traditional sized close coupled unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , alan_m
wrote:

I've just come back from visiting friends who rent a place with an
expensive 'designer' bathroom.

Large free-standing bath which is extremly difficult to get out of
unless you roll over and start from a kneeling position.

Can anyone explain WTF the point of a "free-standing" bath is?
Especially as they always have curved edge-tops that you can't stand
anything (e.g. a shampoo bottle) on.

No. Unless it is related to baths not wearing out and limiting the
replacement sales opportunity.

Floor standing pillar bath taps which have always leaked and require a
towel around the pillar at the floor. Replacement taps of the same
design leaked again after a week.

Are they anchored at all? Otherwise, any attempt to turn them on/off
applies strain to the coupling at/below floor level.
Nice streamlined taps tops which are just chromed cylinders (no
indents or protrusions). Impossible to turn off with wet or soapy hands.

Or turn on, come to that. We had taps like that, Screwfix ones, in the
bathroom here. Useless - probably specified by the teenage daughters. I
replaced them with compatible cross-head ones, also from Screwfix.

I've gone for wall mounted as the bath is fitted in an alcove. One end
totally inaccessible for repairs and taps at the other might impede
climbing in/out. I'm relieved to see they are serviceable by removing
the chrome bezel but you do need two different size Allen keys and a box
spanner. The pipe connections are buried:-(

I hope you gave your friends a talking-to.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2018 15:16, Tim Streater wrote:

Are they anchored at all? Otherwise, any attempt to turn them on/off
applies strain to the coupling at/below floor level.

Yes firmly anchored to the floor.

From all accounts a "designer" bull**** nice finish on the outside.
Crap construction and finish on the inside (rough screw treads etc.).

I hope you gave your friends a talking-to.

Rented 5 bedroom property with cellar in a rural location for about the
same rent as a 2 bed flat around my way. Landlords problem to fix the
fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2018 15:16, Tim Streater wrote:

Can anyone explain WTF the point of a "free-standing" bath is?
Especially as they always have curved edge-tops that you can't stand
anything (e.g. a shampoo bottle) on.

Fashion - specified by people who haven't had first hand experience of
using one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 18/08/2018 15:16, Tim Streater wrote:

Can anyone explain WTF the point of a "free-standing" bath is?
Especially as they always have curved edge-tops that you can't stand
anything (e.g. a shampoo bottle) on.

Fashion - specified by people who haven't had first hand experience of
using one?

The important thing as with all fashion is to follow it blindly. Makes no
difference if it is better or not.

--
*Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just come back from visiting friends who rent a place with an
expensive 'designer' bathroom.

Large free-standing bath which is extremly difficult to get out of
unless you roll over and start from a kneeling position.

Can anyone explain WTF the point of a "free-standing" bath is?
Especially as they always have curved edge-tops that you can't stand
anything (e.g. a shampoo bottle) on.

All right if you have an enormous bathroom so you can clean around and
underneath it. If it's up against a wall spiders (and worse) will lurk.

--
Max Demian