Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal cable clips

On 17/08/18 10:34, Robin wrote:
On 17/08/2018 10:17, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/08/18 10:02, wrote:
On Friday, 17 August 2018 08:34:48 UTC+1, CynicÂ* wrote:

Memories of sore fingers and thumbs using metal buckle clips. Surely
some enterprising soul will create a one nail clip similar to
current plastic ones but which doesn't melt in a fire. (Except of
course most metals do melt at some point)

I've always wondered if a bit of metal could be embedded in the
current design of plastic clip. I'd forgotten about the sore fingers.

NT

It would be very easy to make a retrofit u-sleeve that fitted over the
top of a standard plastic clip and which the same nail held in place.
Plastic protects cable from sharpish metal edge. Old clips can be used
up. New clips can be sold with metal in place.

Possibly:

a.Â*Â*Â* the time cost of removing the nail, fitting the sleeve and then
replacing the nail would exceed the saving for pros, and pros dominate
the market? plus

b.Â*Â*Â* there's little or no profit to be made in of developing,
certifying and marketing a product which has only a limited life (and
double and redouble that if you are an existing manufacturer of cable
clips as any sales of the add-on displace sales of new fire-rated clips)?

Maybe on the retro fit I'd agree.

But a) are you telling me cable clips are certified? I'd be surprised.

b) It would be a minor adaption to an existing product that for new
production makes sense.

But if you think there's a market for your product then go for it: we
need profitable entrepreneurs!

I don't "do* being an entrepreneur I'd be crap.