Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default septic tanks - new EU regulations ?

"NY" Wrote in message:
"T i m" wrote in message
I dont discharge into a stream or river anyway.

What are the current rules about discharging grey water (bath water, washing
up, washing machine) into a land drain and ultimately a stream, rather than
into a septic tank? Obviously all those things going into a sewer when you
have mains drainage, but when you have a septic tank, is it more important
to put grey water into a septic tank where it is treated and allowed to rot,
or is it more important to limit the amount of liquid going into the tank so
it works better?

I ask because the cottage where I'm living at the moment has a septic tank
dating from the mid 70s at the latest where the toilets discharge, but all
other water goes into a communal land drain for the village (along with
rainwater which has always been required to go into a separate soakaway, for
both mains and septic tank) and this ends up in a stream. Those drainage
conditions were last reviewed in the early 90s when a new bathroom and
utility room were built. I imagine that any modern rules aren't applied
retrospectively.

It's a two-chamber (two-manhole) septic tank, with an outflow of treated
water (guess where it goes!)

"Treated" in what way?

Going straight into the land drain? Yum!
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/