Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LOT20 storage heaters , old systems and changing a storage heater - anyone up on this?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 14:16:50 +0100, Tufnell Park wrote:

The running costs of using night storage heaters are questionable these
days as the night rate on most E7 tariffs is usually way more than half
the day rate.

Was going to say wrong until I checked what my tarrifs have been
since April 2013. Back then off peak was 35% of peak, my current
tarrif is 45%...

For example, a 3kW storage will consume 21kWh per night on E7 at a
notional cost of 10p/kwh gives £2.10 per day.

No, they have a maximum core temperature once that is reached they
cycle on the "input" stat. So once charged from cold they only take
what they have lost. My off peak is 6.67p/kWHr, peak 14.67p/kWHr (+5%
VAT).

So you could run a 1kW convector heater at full power (in practice the
thermostat will cycle on and off) for at least 10 hours @ 20p/kWh for
the same cost.

Hum, I feel that another section is going to get added to my
cost/tariff selector spreadsheet...

--
Cheers
Dave.