Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do you rebuild the bearings?

On 14 Aug 2018 05:01:41 GMT, Uncle Monster wrote:

Most pressure switches work off the air pressure from the air trapped
in the top of the water tank.

Thank you for being helpful on the questions asked.

The 10,000 gallon water tanks are unpressurized - they simply hold water.
They can't be pressurized as there is a manhole cover on top that fits
loosely and there is a three or four inch vent in the middle of the top
also.

The only tank that is "pressurized" is the four-foot tall blue bladder tank
that is pictured in the previous set of photos inside the pressure pump
shed.

Most pressure switches made for well water and pressure tank systems
share similar characteristics.

I'm sure of that, which is why asking here on a.h.r can be fruitful.

The switches are adjustable to the desired pressure and control the
contactor(high current power relay) that supplies power to the pump.

You bring up an interesting point that the pressure switch may be
adjustable, which, if I can find the adjustment, would be useful perhaps
for troubleshooting purposes.

As far as the pump or motor goes, there should be nameplates on the
units that have the specifications, otherwise, you should be able to
look up the specs using the model numbers and cross-reference the
equipment to a different brand or similar equipment.

As shown in the photos, you're correct the nameplate has everything I need.
* 1 HP (Service Factor 1.4), single-phase 115/230VAC, Frame 56C, Code L

It's the Internet that doesn't have any parts diagrams on the model:
* General Electric Jet Pump Motor Model 5KC39QN1157AX

I called GE, which was a two-hour experience because GE sold all their
motors to two different enterprises...

Fractional HP Motors went to Riegel Beloit at 260-416-5400
1HP & up went to Marathon/Century 800-541-7191

You don't want to know what happened when I called each of those.

The bearing replacement on an electric motor is usually straightforward
and if it's some years old, you may consider replacing the motor capacitor
or capacitors if there are start and a run capacitors.

I'm familiar with the "bulge" of the electrolytic starting caps but I don't
see one in this motor (it could be internal - but probably not) - but
that's a good idea to keep in mind for what to purchase ahead of time in
addition to the bearings.

I can't yet find a parts diagram where Riegel Beloit told me that this
motor was specially made for Marathon and then for Jacuzzi Brothers, so a
parts diagram may be hard to find based on the model number alone.

There are websites that go into more detail with pictures on
servicing pump and pressure tank systems.
https://tinyurl.com/yatp85n7
https://tinyurl.com/y8dugtml

Thanks for those URLs. As noted, I've replaced and rebuilt motors before,
where the main issue is that of downtime so I want to source the bearings
first. Once the bearings are in my hands, they're easy to source but it
takes time if they're not standard sizes - so that's why I'm seeking a
parts diagram first.