Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do yourebuild the bearings?

On 8/14/2018 10:41 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 11:24:29 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 8/14/2018 9:50 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 10:28:50 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 8/13/2018 10:54 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:

Hmmmm... so the pressure coming out of the bladder is NOT being sensed.
I don't see *any* wires or sense tubes coming out of the bladder tank!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5816454pressure03.jpg

Where do the leads for what you keep calling a level switch relay come
from? There's got to be _something_ for it if it indeed is anything
more than interposing relay.

--

IDK why he insists on debugging the whole system. I guess if he wants
to know how it works, that's OK. But he heard a squeal coming from

He keeps looking for a sensor or wires coming out of the tank. Yet
he posted a picture of a pump pressure switch, clear as day. That
is the "sensor" and that has to have a connection to the water coming out
of it. It doesn't have to be hooked directly to the tank, it could
just be connected to the water line coming out of the tank.

'Cuz it's clear he really _doesn't_ know how just how it works nor does
he even recognize what some of the pieces-parts are so doesn't
understand what is/isn't possibly significant...and appears to be one of
those that doesn't do anything until has studied it to satisfaction
whether it needs study or not...

Yes, since the system is all tied together, for the purposes of control
"pressure is pressure" at the point relatively close to the tank. He
should investigate the possibility the gauge itself is stuck; it's
immaterial to system operation but if not functional could lead to
confusing the issues thinking there's pressure when there's not...the
one here was stuck last month when we hooked up the new well--I hadn't
noticed until we opened the system and the needle didn't move...

I'm still curious about this so-called "level" sensor,
though...somewhere he talked about there being open tanks; I suppose if
he does have a larger reservoir besides the pressure tank somewhere else
there could be a level sensor in one or them...in that case the leads
will run out wherever that is.

I bet this is a low flow well and the tanks are there to slowly accumulate
water over a long period. We had another poster here, Danny I believe,
that had this kind of system. Are they one and the same? IDK. That they
both had a penchant for over analyzing, taking lots of pictures would
suggest they are. But I didn't think Danny was the kind of guy that
would be mounting tires at home or fueling his car at home from cans,
so IDK.

What isn't shown clearly is how the well pump is controlled; whether
there really is a second sensor or whether that other relay is just the
secondary to it off the pressure switch on the booster pump.

--

I would bet that the submersible is controlled by a level sensor in
the storage tanks and that another float serves as an interlock on

But again, seems to me the only thing he really needs to do is see if
there is voltage on that pump when it's not working. He said it was
squealing, but I guess it could also squeal if it was out of water,
so maybe that's a possibility too. Come to think about it, being out
of water would also fit with it happening only when it's used for
irrigation. But that could also fit with a motor going bad, the
problem showing up when it's used the most. You'd also think that
if the water wasn't flowing, one of the first things you'd check would
be if the tanks were empty, but who knows.

Agreed, I was simply suggesting it would be interesting to actually know
for certain that is the setup.

As far as diagnostics, that's certainly where to start when it isn't
functioning; then see if thermal switch tripped it and work backwards.

Certainly there's almost certainly new or rebuilt in the near future
given there is squealing at least on one occasion; who knows what noises
it makes while running and nobody's around before it quits or does shut
off in time to not actually fail.

That's a good call probably on the low-capacity well and reason for
storage tank(s)--I'm not used to having to do that; there's always
plenty of water in a hole here for domestic wells...so the trickle over
longer time concept doesn't come into play and don't actively think
about that kind of installation. The level/float switch then does make
perfect sense to control the actual pump.