Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default LOT20 storage heaters , old systems and changing a storage heater- anyone up on this?

On 14/08/2018 10:31, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 10:20:22 AM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 06:20:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I am currently looking at buying a second hand " refurbished" old
version on ebay. All I want is a simple night storage heater
replacement for the bedroom.

I'm on your side with regards the bells an whistles and over
complication but I suspect these new fangled jobies have far far
better thermal insulation than a 30 or 40 year old one. This is why
they need a fan, to get the heat out...

The big problem with the old style is that they loose heat rather
quickly and all the time. So come evening, when you want the place
warm, the damn thing has run out of heat. As you know and you use
another heater (at peak rate) to keep the room warm.

A new, "properly" insulated one should still have stored heat (from
cheap rate) for the evening, mainly due to the better insulation but
also down to the control system, you can set a lower room temperature
for the day than the evening. The chances are that your peak rate use
will drop noticeably and the off peak will probably drop as well.

The second, permenantly live supply is a PITA but if it is just for
the fan/control system could just plug into the ringmain. How ever
I've got the impression from somewhere that some heater may have an
auxillary heater as well, one would have to look carefully at the
potential loadings.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks. If I was considering buying a new storage heater for the main sitting room or dining room, I would go along with getting a new better insulated type with a fan.

However, this one is for a bedroom and I am not convinced any fan is so silent it is suitable in a bedroom or that I need it there.

Would moving the existing sitting room one to the bedroom work? Then
have a new style one in the sitting room.

I might if someone can prove the significant saving buy the newer one.... but then as someone has said, you run into all sorts of other issues like the new ones seem to have different power ratings entirely ( a bit like the new and old light bulb ratings). Suppliers seem to be suing old and new notations on this so it gets confusing.

if I buy an old style one ( and I have looked at hw site for this) , at least I know that I need a 1.7 kw heater and that is it.

Keep in mind the power figure is the rate of heat input and not the
total energy input. So 1.7kW for say 8 hours is a maximum of 13.6 kWh of
energy. It might be the room does not actually require that amount of
heat, but the storage heater was specced at that capacity to allow for
the fact that much of the heat will be dumped into the room at times
when you don't need it. Hence it needs a larger store of energy to have
any hope of having some left when you actually need it.

A heater that holds less total energy, but allows its delivery in a more
targeted way may well achieve the desired heating profile equally well.

Some also allow a top up from peek rate electricity. Obviously more
expensive to use like that on a given day, but the overall sum may
actually be favourable. Say the device needs 10kWh of heat stored to
cope with the 30 coldest days of the year, but only 8kWh for "normal"
days. Charging to only 8kWh on cheap rate all the time, and then topping
up the extra 2kWh from peak rate will actually be cheaper overall, since
you are saving 2kWh x how ever many days you need the heating on Vs the
expense of buying 60 kWh at peak price rather than e7 prices.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |