Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default LOT20 storage heaters , old systems and changing a storage heater - anyone up on this?

Sorry I'm not convinced by this at all, unless somebody has made a miracle
material that can totally insulate the bricks, the device will always lose
heat at a low level and thus be no more efficient.

Most of my heaters are close to a standard supply as well, so one assumes a
bit of creative routing of the cable would suffice, but I hope mine continue
to function for a long time! I have two big ones and one small one in my
house and that is all it really needs.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 13 August 2018 14:20:51 UTC+1, wrote:
I am losing the will to live. I have looked across the internet and found
almost nothing expect the usual suspects over and again - all with their
eco agendas.

The problem is simple ( or should be)
a) I have a night storage heater on E7 that has given up the ghost. It
needs replacing

That should be simple enough, I have done similar things before - get a
new equivelent heater and OH connects it in to existing system

But
b) it seems that the ruddy EU ( no the **** me off - it seems they brought
this in but it was not widely advertised. if it had been I would have got
new heaters all round last year. The new ones are almost three times as
expensive and appear to need new wiring too.) They have changed the rules
and now you have to get an eco friendly storage heater which sings and
dances, costs twice as much and I dont think will run on my system but I
cannot find out

so
c) Is it possible to get/ run one of these new LOT20 storage heaters on a
night only supply? It seems they all seem to now need a duel supply -ie a
second electric point to run some fan or other daytime..... I dont need
that! Is it possible to connect them without conecting in the day time
socket - or can it be connected to a standard socket with plug so I can
switch it off via the plug switch?

None of these things are being answered anywhere on the internet. They
just keep pounding away with other things..... some of us use E7 because
there is nothing else and we dont want LPG or oil.

Has anyone any experience of fitting and using one of these new fangled
storage heaters? There must be others out there with E7.

Further has anyone found a simple one that doesnt use a ruddy wi fi system
and all singing and dancing "open window " detection to pump up the heat ,
even though you might have an open window because you want one?

I am currently looking at buying a second hand " refurbished" old version
on ebay. All I want is a simple night storage heater replacement for the
bedroom.

I would be grateful for sensible replies. I am sure there will be some. I
will ignore the trolls, thanks.

New storage heaters have a controlled heat output so you don't get heat when
you don't want it.
This is done by means of a fan than wafts the stored heat out.
The fan needs an extra permanent supply (ie not off the time switch).
We have had them for decades, now it seems they are to be the only ones
allowed.
There are significant savings money/energywise