Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do you rebuild the bearings?

On 13 Aug 2018 18:22:47 GMT, Uncle Monster wrote:

Do you have experience working on pumps, electrical power, plumbing,
control circuits, pressure tanks, etc? If not, you may need to call a professional.
It's for your own safety and may cost you less in the long run.
I've repaired systems like that and someone who has no clue about what
they're doing can cause a lot of damage. I know from experience because
of having to repair major DIY damage done by a clueless customer.
You need at least a basic understanding of electrical circuits and
electrical safety. If you don't possess such knowledge, I'd fear for
your safety. If you still wish to tackle the repair, please be safe
and make sure the power is off before you dig into anything.

All I'm asking is advice from someone who has troubleshot these things.
1. How does that pressure switch work (so I can troubleshoot it)?
2. If I replace the switch or pump, what specs matter?
3. If I replace just the bearings, what else would you order to replace?

Those are my main three questions.
Do you have helpful input on those three questions?

I apologize for pointing out that your comment about "call a plumber"
wasn't appropriate for this newsgroup.

All of your questions are off topic - and none of your posts so far are
intended to be helpful - that much is clear to all.

But I will faithfully answer your questions, even though this entire post
is a waste of time since it doesn't help anyone solve the problem at hand,
which is a basic home repair issue.

Do you have experience working on pumps, electrical power, plumbing,
control circuits, pressure tanks, etc?

Of course I do.
I'm a degreed electrical engineer for heaven's sake.
But I always will admit that the theory doesn't apply to the practical.

So having a degree in EE doesn't mean I know how to fix pumps.
I readily admit that.

For example, they NEVER cover pump bearings in college.
They don't cover frame sizes.
They don't even cover pumps, per se (they do cover motors).

If not, you may need to call a professional.

If that's your advice, then it's clear you know nothing of helpful use.
I'm sorry to be blunt. But your advice is a complete waste of time.
For you. For me. For everyone.
It just is.

It's for your own safety and may cost you less in the long run.

Again, platitudes.
What you say is what a grandmother would say.
You can't be helpful in a group called "alt.home.repair".

Why don't you just man up and admit you know nothing about pumps?
I can admit it.
Why can't you?

I've repaired systems like that and someone who has no clue about what
they're doing can cause a lot of damage.

Jesus. If you're so afraid of your own shadow, why do you bother to post
anything to an alt.home.repair newsgroup?

The fact is that I know nothing about pumps, but, you've shown that you too
know even less than I do.

Plus, your posts just waste your time, my time, and everyone elses' time.

I know from experience because
of having to repair major DIY damage done by a clueless customer.

What are you talking about?
It's a booster pump for heaven's sake.
Not a nuclear reactor.

All I'm asking is advice from someone who has troubleshot these things.
1. How does that pressure switch work (so I can troubleshoot it)?
2. If I replace the switch or pump, what specs matter?
3. If I replace just the bearings, what else would you order to replace?

Those are my main three questions.
Do you have helpful input on those three questions?

You need at least a basic understanding of electrical circuits and
electrical safety.

Holy ****. I said I'm an EE. What do you want me to do, post my degree for
you? Assume that I know all about volts and amps (and how to design chips,
for heaven's sake).

Having said that, being an EE doesn't give you any experience in pumps,
although the operation of motors is covered in theory for sure.

But "bearings" aren't covered.
Neither is how to get the pump open without breaking those long bolts.
Nor is how to fit a new pump to the old housing (the frame, so to speak).

None of that is covered in a 5-year engineering program.
You can argue that you think it should be covered; but it's just not.

I don't make the EE curriculum.
I just ask the questions.

If you don't possess such knowledge, I'd fear for
your safety. If you still wish to tackle the repair, please be safe
and make sure the power is off before you dig into anything.

Jesus Christ. If you're so afraid of your own shadow, you don't belong in
this newsgroup. You just don't.

If you *truly* have experience in troubleshooting pumps, you'll be able to
answer the simple questions posed...