Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do you rebuild the bearings?

My outdoor water pressure booster pump occasionally won't start,
particularly after doing some irrigation watering.

It never happened before under those circumstances, but it happened twice
in the past week - where letting it sit with the breakers turned off for an
hour and then turning the breakers back on seems to "fix" it temporarily.

The booster pump works for weeks if I don't irrigate - but if I do - the
booster has failed to start twice - once I heard screeching sounds until I
shut the breakers - but this last time I heard nothing.

Then for weeks, it works fine - with normal sounds.

I'm perplexed - but the first thing I'm assuming is that it's heating up
due to bearings - I'm not sure if that's the case - but the screeching wsa
something - even if I don't hear it now.

Do you guys with wells periodically rebuild your water pressure pump?
This one could be as old as from the 80s.