Posted to alt.home.repair
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

posted for all of us...

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 17:50:59 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 2:46:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 11:09:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 11:51:18 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 07:39:37 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

According to Fretwell, two phase power existed 100 years ago, and it
was over two wires, 90 degrees phase difference. Suppose I run it
over 3 wires instead, with a shared neutral, make it 120V. So,
you have a generator supplying 120V, two coils, one shared neutral.
Would there still be two phases there?
(I believe Fretwell said yes)
Your answer?

When you lie you can always make your point.
I never agreed you were right about any of this.
Two phase simply does not work like this

I clearly said *I believe* you said that it would be two phase. But it's
hard to keep track, because you won't answer a simple series of questions,
instead you bail out, claiming you can't answer a simple question about
whether a phase still exists when I change the angle from 90 to some other
choice, because "that system doesn't exist". So much for electrical
engineering, now it's claimed that we can only analyze that which is
actually deployed. That would get expensive fast.

I have answered you silly quiz TWICE
At least as much as you can answer nonsense questions.

They are all perfectly legitimate questions that any first week circuits 101
student should be able to answer. And you don't answer them in series,
you go part way into the example and then you start talking about transformers
when there are no transformers in the simple problem and you bail.

I already let you have generators and your theory still falls apart.

I prefer to live in reality and not some theoretical world where only
pink unicorns and blue oxen live.

Engineers can answer simple theoretical circuit questions. This is a
bizarre position, that only that which has been built can be analyzed
and explained.

Engineers live in a theoretical world. Ever see one wire a house? It
is zip cord and flying splices because that works on paper.

So feel free to give us your definitive answer to the above simple question.
Here it is again, go step by step:

According to Fretwell, two phase power existed 100 years ago, and it
was over two wires, 90 degrees phase difference. Suppose I run it
over 3 wires instead, with a shared neutral, make it 120V from each
phase to the neutral. So, you have a generator supplying 120V on
each of two windings on the same shaft 90 deg phase difference,
one shared neutral. Would there still be two phases there?

I have to stop you there. You are just full of ****. Two phase
requires FOUR ungrounded conductors.
They either look like an X or T but they still act like an X

Two phases requires four ungrounded conductors according to whom, exactly?

The people who wire the grid.

I can have three phase with only three! And that exists, right?

You might, theoretically be able to have it but it doesn't exist in
the power distribution system.
I live in the real world. I am not sure what planet you are on.

So now, I run that from the generator into a house, we have three wires,
shared neutral, 120V, two phases, 90 deg phase difference, correct?
I could hook a scope up to the neutral and see two phases, 90 deg
apart, correct?

If I change the phase difference to 179 degrees instead of 90
by rotating one coil, are there still two phases? Yes or no?

Now I rotate it to 180 phase difference. Are there still two phases,
yes or no? If you disagree, explain how it's different, how there
suddenly there are not two phases there, where one phase just went.

S L O W L Y
When you rotate to 180 you have ONE PHASE, no matter how many times
you tap the output source.
A 180 degree phase angle is no angle at all it is a straight line.

A unique singularity in the world of electrical engineering? That
indeed is your parlor trick! You told us that 3 phases exists with
phases at 0, 120, 240. Yes? I have to check, because above you say
that two phases can't exist without 4 conductors, so that would imply
that 3 phase requires more than 4 conductors. But previously you just
told us that I can have:

Perhaps you should just look at the geometry of the way these are
generated in the real world. I don't know what might be possible in
the lab.

I understand reality is a foreign planet to you but this is a diagram
of a 3phase "Scott Tee" making 2 phase. (drawn by a power engineer,
not a college geek)

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/theory/2phd1.gif

The 2 phase out is on the bottom.

I think we should get Arlen Holder involved in this discussion.

--
Tekkie