Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] aprilsweetheartrose@gmail.com is offline

Default LOT20 storage heaters , old systems and changing a storage heater- anyone up on this?

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 3:35:33 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Since the minimumand maximum efficiency of an electrical heating
system (that doesn't involve pumps, motors etc) is 100%, what
possible nonsense could the EU impose ?.

They don't seem to use actual efficiency, rather a notional efficiency
number, which has a starting point of 30% due to losses in the the power
grid, then you gain one or more additional factors such as 7% for having
a specific type of electronic timer, 1% for open window detection or 1%
for adaptive start, and each model has to exceed 38% to be allowed to go
on sale ...

..... and it costs more than twice the old ones to buy. I am not convinced by the efficiency claims and I doubt it will be any warmer at the end of the day ( but may well lamp my daytime electricity with that fan.

I generally top up with a small convector on a very cold evening. In the bedroom I dont bother.