Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Some Charmin TP Rolls are Oversize Now?

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 4:13:18 PM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 8/12/18 11:44 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 9:26:58 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 8/11/18 10:31 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 7:33:31 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 8/9/18 7:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 6:41:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 14:11:40 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 6:58:20 AM UTC-5, slate_leeper wrote:
On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 13:53:23 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

So, I've taken to the PIA chore of unwinding and wrapping enough TP from
a new one of those large rolls onto the cardboard core of an empty roll
so that both could fit into our home's roll holders.

Or you could just set it on the counter top until enough is used to
fit it in the holder. Works for me.
--

At home, I don't bother sticking any roll in the holder, I just set it on the side of the tub which is right up next to the toilet(small bathroom) and that's where it stays until the tub/shower is going to be used then the roll is moved to the top of the toilet tank. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Toilet Monster

When we remodeled our bathrooms my wife thought those ceramic holders
looked to "Leave it to Beaver" for her and she bought floor standing
holders. We have large format tile and the ceramic holders are made
for that tacky 4x4 stuff.
The holders we have hold the big roll.

I just remembered I have to buy some wet wipes. They're easier on the tailpipe. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tushy Monster

Some enviro-warriors claim that since they don't dissolve, they'll
eventually clog waste pipes, sewer pipes and water treatment facilities.
No idea if that's true or not...
--

I've never tried to flush more than one or two at a time. I had a housemate some years ago who was an old Hippie who tended to drink a lot and ingest illegal drugs. He went in the bathroom and got hold of my wet wipes and flushed handfuls of the darn things and he did stop up the plumbing. I've never stopped up the plumbing with one or two at a time. The important thing is to read the label and make sure it reads, "flushable". I've had some disposable washcloths that I never tried to flush because they were too big and not designed to dissolve. Those went into the trash can. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/McKesson-Stay.../dp/B00QSBFUKK

[8~{} Uncle Disposable Monster

I'm wondering if "flushable" just means they'll get cleared from the
bowl or if they in fact will dissolve downstream.

I used to do some consulting work with maquilas just across the border
from El Paso in Juarez, Chi. "Sewer" lines there were foul-smelling open
streams with residual toilet paper floating among the turds.

The bathroom custom was to deposit your TP in a covered can next to the
toilet rather than flush it down. I guess some didn't follow that though.

It was a real problem when some of the Mexicans were brought to the US
corporate HQ for a few days of training and deposited their TP on the
floor in the bathroom stalls. The janitorial staff was understandably up
in arms!
--

I remember years ago when the Mexicans started their invasion and they were wiping their tailpipes and dropping the soiled toilet paper in the trash can instead of flushing it down the toilet. It probably has something to do with the reliability of sewer systems in Mexico or lack thereof. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster

Back in Juarez, the toilet paper eventually made its way out of the open
sewer streams and onto land where the desert winds quickly dried it out
and blew it like tumbleweed.

It snagged on barbwire fencing and built up a layer on chain link
fences, mesquite bushes, and against the side of buildings. It was
really nasty sticking to your car grill and radiator.

Glad I was always in a company car driven by a company chauffeurs so I
didn't have to remove it! They took it in stride though- part of the
daily routine I guess.

I did most of my Juarez work back before the gang and cartel killings
got really bad- though I never felt totally comfortable being there.
--

I believe that many Americans don't understand that the rest of the world doesn't have the same sort of infrastructure as The United States for handling things like sewage. Here it's mostly invisible and your average citizen never sees it. I know from experience doing repair work over the years that a lot of people are clueless about the utilities serving their homes. All they know is that they're suppose to be able to flip a switch and the lights come on but they have no idea where the power comes from except that they get a monthly power bill. Hey, flush a toilet and the poop goes away somewhere. It must be Poop Land. When I was a kid growing up I wanted to know how everything worked and I got in trouble for taking things apart. Scientific American, Popular Science, and Popular Mechanics were what I buried my nose in for hours. I had to read National Geographic because the were titties on the front of it. I used to spend hours at the public library or the college library when I was a kid. The college library seemed to have a more risque book and magazine collection. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Library Monster