Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Some Charmin TP Rolls are Oversize Now?

Anyone else gotten frustrated by this Johnson and Johnson stunt?

Over a month ago I picked up my usual thrice a year purchase of several
packages each of Charmin toilet paper and Bounty paper towels and stuck
them in our home storage room.

I opened the first package of that Charmin toilet tissue about five
weeks ago and was shocked, shocked to realize it was larger in diameter
than any roll I'd encountered before and would not fit into any of the
the four roll holders in our 33 year old home. I hadn't thought to check
carefully at the store, the packages seemed enough like what I was used
to buying that I just grabbed them off the shelf.

I looked on the back of the plastic packaging holding the remainder of
the rolls and saw that Charmin knew those rolls wouldn't fit in some
roll holders because they offered free plastic "extenders" which snapped
onto the "arms" of roll holders so the spring loaded "axle" would be
further away from the back of the holder.

I immediately went to the Charmin website and entered my address
information, checking off that I wanted three sets of extenders. Three
weeks later nothing had arrived so I called them up and told them I
hadn't received anything and was told that there was such a surge of
requests for those extenders that they had run out quickly and were
still waiting for more to come in from the manufacturer.

So, I've taken to the PIA chore of unwinding and wrapping enough TP from
a new one of those large rolls onto the cardboard core of an empty roll
so that both could fit into our home's roll holders.

Why did Charmin decide to do such a ****ty thing? Did home TP roll
holders increase in size sometime during my lifetime leading up to that
problem?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 13:53:23 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote in

So, I've taken to the PIA chore of unwinding and wrapping enough TP from
a new one of those large rolls onto the cardboard core of an empty roll
so that both could fit into our home's roll holders.

This is a good solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/2018 1:53 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Yah, that bit me on the ass too.Â* Apparently toilet paper comes in Mega and Super Mega size rolls now. Sounds like you got the Super Jumbo Mega 747 sized rolls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Things like this can annoy. I remember how ticked I was when they
started making toothbrushes with bigger handles that would not fit in
the bathroom holder. You would think companies would be aware of such
things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/18 1:53 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Life's a bitch,,,and then you die ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/2018 10:53 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Just take them back to the store and buy something that will work.
Charmin will quickly get the hint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 1:53:33 PM UTC-4, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Anyone else gotten frustrated by this Johnson and Johnson stunt?

No. I don't buy Charmin, but the Northern package says
MEGA 12 rolls = 48 regular rolls

I've been buying those since we remodeled our bathroom, removed the
70-year-old ceramic TP holder set into the tile wainscot, and replaced
it with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0BBO9S

Prior to that, I bought the "double" rolls. They fit pretty well in
the old dispenser.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I've taken to the PIA chore of unwinding and wrapping enough TP from
a new one of those large rolls onto the cardboard core of an empty roll
so that both could fit into our home's roll holders.

Or you could just set it on the counter top until enough is used to
fit it in the holder. Works for me.

--
Someone who thinks logically provides
a nice contrast to the real world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I've taken to the PIA chore of unwinding and wrapping enough TP from
a new one of those large rolls onto the cardboard core of an empty roll
so that both could fit into our home's roll holders.

Or you could just set it on the counter top until enough is used to
fit it in the holder. Works for me.

+1

This whole rant sounds like white people problems to me anyway. I have
not had a problem with the megarolls. I appreciate them putting more
on the roll.
This is really just so they could try to keep up with the sheet count
of the cheaper brands anyway. These soft papers are thicker than the
"news print" brands so the cheap guys can also brag about more sheets
per roll.
The Charmin "mega roll" is 362 sheets. The 1 ply Scotts is 1000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I've taken to the PIA chore of unwinding and wrapping enough TP from
a new one of those large rolls onto the cardboard core of an empty roll
so that both could fit into our home's roll holders.

Or you could just set it on the counter top until enough is used to
fit it in the holder. Works for me.
--

At home, I don't bother sticking any roll in the holder, I just set it on the side of the tub which is right up next to the toilet(small bathroom) and that's where it stays until the tub/shower is going to be used then the roll is moved to the top of the toilet tank. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Toilet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I've taken to the PIA chore of unwinding and wrapping enough TP from
a new one of those large rolls onto the cardboard core of an empty roll
so that both could fit into our home's roll holders.

Or you could just set it on the counter top until enough is used to
fit it in the holder. Works for me.
--

At home, I don't bother sticking any roll in the holder, I just set it on the side of the tub which is right up next to the toilet(small bathroom) and that's where it stays until the tub/shower is going to be used then the roll is moved to the top of the toilet tank. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Toilet Monster

When we remodeled our bathrooms my wife thought those ceramic holders
looked to "Leave it to Beaver" for her and she bought floor standing
holders. We have large format tile and the ceramic holders are made
for that tacky 4x4 stuff.
The holders we have hold the big roll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just remembered I have to buy some wet wipes. They're easier on the tailpipe. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tushy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Some enviro-warriors claim that since they don't dissolve, they'll
eventually clog waste pipes, sewer pipes and water treatment facilities.
No idea if that's true or not...

--
€œYou cannot push anyone up the ladder unless he is willing to climb.€
- Andrew Carnegie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've never tried to flush more than one or two at a time. I had a housemate some years ago who was an old Hippie who tended to drink a lot and ingest illegal drugs. He went in the bathroom and got hold of my wet wipes and flushed handfuls of the darn things and he did stop up the plumbing. I've never stopped up the plumbing with one or two at a time. The important thing is to read the label and make sure it reads, "flushable". I've had some disposable washcloths that I never tried to flush because they were too big and not designed to dissolve. Those went into the trash can. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/McKesson-Stay.../dp/B00QSBFUKK

[8~{} Uncle Disposable Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm wondering if "flushable" just means they'll get cleared from the
bowl or if they in fact will dissolve downstream.

I used to do some consulting work with maquilas just across the border
from El Paso in Juarez, Chi. "Sewer" lines there were foul-smelling open
streams with residual toilet paper floating among the turds.

The bathroom custom was to deposit your TP in a covered can next to the
toilet rather than flush it down. I guess some didn't follow that though.

It was a real problem when some of the Mexicans were brought to the US
corporate HQ for a few days of training and deposited their TP on the
floor in the bathroom stalls. The janitorial staff was understandably up
in arms!

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I remember years ago when the Mexicans started their invasion and they were wiping their tailpipes and dropping the soiled toilet paper in the trash can instead of flushing it down the toilet. It probably has something to do with the reliability of sewer systems in Mexico or lack thereof. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That is mostly what is getting pumped out of septic tanks when they
need pumping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Back in Juarez, the toilet paper eventually made its way out of the open
sewer streams and onto land where the desert winds quickly dried it out
and blew it like tumbleweed.

It snagged on barbwire fencing and built up a layer on chain link
fences, mesquite bushes, and against the side of buildings. It was
really nasty sticking to your car grill and radiator.

Glad I was always in a company car driven by a company chauffeurs so I
didn't have to remove it! They took it in stride though- part of the
daily routine I guess.

I did most of my Juarez work back before the gang and cartel killings
got really bad- though I never felt totally comfortable being there.

--
I was almost run off the road this afternoon by some guy making an
undocumented U-turn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I believe that many Americans don't understand that the rest of the world doesn't have the same sort of infrastructure as The United States for handling things like sewage. Here it's mostly invisible and your average citizen never sees it. I know from experience doing repair work over the years that a lot of people are clueless about the utilities serving their homes. All they know is that they're suppose to be able to flip a switch and the lights come on but they have no idea where the power comes from except that they get a monthly power bill. Hey, flush a toilet and the poop goes away somewhere. It must be Poop Land. When I was a kid growing up I wanted to know how everything worked and I got in trouble for taking things apart. Scientific American, Popular Science, and Popular Mechanics were what I buried my nose in for hours. I had to read National Geographic because the were titties on the front of it. I used to spend hours at the public library or the college library when I was a kid. The college library seemed to have a more risque book and magazine collection. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Library Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was sort of the same way growing up. These days, I spend quality time
with my young grandson taking stuff apart. I try to teach him
screwdriver/wrench/pliers- but his favorite disassembly tool is a
hammer...and he looks longingly at the hatchet in my tool chest.

On risque stuff in college libraries- these days, it's all been banned,
dontcha' know: sexist, politically incorrect, marginalizes (whatever
that means) women, demeaning, etc....

--
Im so old I can remember when other people's achievements were
considered to be an inspiration rather than a grievance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Political Correctness needs to be put up against a wall and shot! It's a tool of the thought Nazis and it must go. Of course, I ignore it on a regular basis and it gives Politically Correct Freaks like Traitor_4ever brain cramps. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Mean Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia posted for all of us...

Two weeks ago SWMBO and I were staying at an Airb&b in a rural area for
a couple of nights. I saw a sticker the owners had placed on the
underside of the toilet lid which had less than ideal wording on it.

It read, "Please put nothing put toilet paper in here."

I realize the person who put that there didn't want their piping or
septic system clogged with sanitary napkins and such, but I sure wished
I had a sticker I could place alongside that one to add a note reading,
"Please leave excrement on windowsill."

Jeff

No ****?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
Jeff Wisnia posted for all of us...

Two weeks ago SWMBO and I were staying at an Airb&b in a rural area for
a couple of nights. I saw a sticker the owners had placed on the
underside of the toilet lid which had less than ideal wording on it.

It read, "Please put nothing but toilet paper in here."

I realize the person who put that there didn't want their piping or
septic system clogged with sanitary napkins and such, but I sure wished
I had a sticker I could place alongside that one to add a note reading,
"Please leave excrement on windowsill."

Jeff

No ****?

I've stopped saying "I've gotta take a ****" and started saying "I've
gotta leave a ****". (Same thing with ****.)

Makes more sense doesn't it?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
Jeff Wisnia posted for all of us...

Two weeks ago SWMBO and I were staying at an Airb&b in a rural area for
a couple of nights. I saw a sticker the owners had placed on the
underside of the toilet lid which had less than ideal wording on it.

It read, "Please put nothing but toilet paper in here."

I realize the person who put that there didn't want their piping or
septic system clogged with sanitary napkins and such, but I sure wished
I had a sticker I could place alongside that one to add a note reading,
"Please leave excrement on windowsill."

Jeff

No ****?

I've stopped saying "I've gotta take a ****" and started saying "I've
gotta leave a ****". (Same thing with ****.)

Makes more sense doesn't it?

Jeff

Yup, we have been married so long that my wife & I don't even discuss it.
The battle of the diuretics and fiber dominates.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

I remember years ago when the Mexicans started their invasion and they were wiping their tailpipes and dropping the soiled toilet paper in the trash can instead of flushing it down the toilet. It probably has something to do with the reliability of sewer systems in Mexico or lack thereof. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster

Years ago; how about recent? My company cleans a couple of industrial buildings where they had wastebaskets in each stall for the toilet paper. The employees there had to be told it was ok to flush toilet paper. This was in the Chicago area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 11:13:15 PM UTC-5, Ed60062 wrote:

I remember years ago when the Mexicans started their invasion and they were wiping their tailpipes and dropping the soiled toilet paper in the trash can instead of flushing it down the toilet. It probably has something to do with the reliability of sewer systems in Mexico or lack thereof. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster

Years ago; how about recent? My company cleans a couple of industrial buildings where they had wastebaskets in each stall for the toilet paper. The employees there had to be told it was ok to flush toilet paper. This was in the Chicago area.

I don't know if the Mexicans have been instructed in the proper use of toilets in this area yet. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Toilet Monster