Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 7:34:03 PM UTC-4, single.phase wrote:
On 8/9/2018 5:32 PM, trader_4 wrote:
Fretwell's new interesting position is that phases disappear if they
are 180.

Fretwell's correct!

If you think of it as a snapshot in time, you essentially have a dc charge on each of the coils.Â* If the 2 coils are 180° apart, then the instantaneous charge voltage on the first coil will always be the opposite of the second coil.

For example, below I have two identical coils mounted on a shaft with the second coil mounted 180 degrees with respect to the first. The two coils are connected in series as shown.

The output of the second coil will always be the opposite polarity of the first coil.

Duh! Opposite polarity is the same thing as 180 deg phase difference.

------ Â* [Â* (+) polarity of coil at 0 degrees (-)Â* ]Â*Â* ---------- Â*Â* [Â* (-) polarity of coil at 180 degrees (+)Â* ] Â* Â* ------

Since the two coils are always at opposite polarity to each other, they would in fact cancel each other out.Â* (Think of it as a 2-cell series battery pack where some clueless democrat put one of the cells in backwards.)

I see, so the two 120V voltage sources coming from the transformer into
my house cancel each other out and I have zero volts? Nice.

Let's go back to the generator. I want to make sure I get you on record.
I have a 3 phase generator with windings separated by 0, 120, 240 degrees.
I ask you to draw the phasor diagram for it. Mine and everyone else in
the world who knows WTF they are doing, draws it with a vector at 0,
a vector at 120, a vector at 240. How do you draw it?

Now I rotate the 120 winding to 179. Fretwell says that's 3 phase, IDK
what his diagram is, but hopefully it a vector at 0, one at 179, one at 240?
What's your diagram?

Now I rotate it one more degree. My diagram has one vector at 0, one at 180,
one at 240. Yours? If the one at 180 is gone, there is your parlor trick.
It would really be something. At 179 I had a vector, a winding that was
delivering power, that could be analyzed just like any other phase vector.
But now because it happens to be 180, it's gone? Since it's no longer on
the phasor diagram, you can go grab hold of it, there is no voltage, no
power there, right?

It's amazing how you can't grasp the basics.

And FWIW, this instantaneous snapshot also illustrates why the ubiquitous residential center-tapped transformer is not 180 degree 2-phase.

Quite the opposite, it shows that it is, just like the IEEE Fellow,
prof of electrical engineering, who consults for utilities said in his
paper that he presented to his peers at a power industry conference,
published by the IEEE. Why don't you try drawing the phasor diagram for it?
Mine is two 120V vectors, one at 0 deg, one at 180 deg. Show us your
phasor diagram that gives you 240/120 service.