Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 7:28:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 14:32:23 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Fretwell's new interesting position is that phases disappear if they
are 180. And that also somehow also kills off other phases, because he says
if I take a 3 phase system and move the 120 phase to 180, POOF, it
becomes a single phase system.

Your scenario was 2 windings and if 2 windings have no angular
displacement (wound around the core, generator or transformer in the
same direction and excited in the same axis magnetically or
mechanically), the output is single phase.

Good grief, from the very beginning I have had the winding with
differing angles in each of the two very simple examples I gave you.
In this example it was 3 phases. One at 0, one at 120, one at 240.
That is 3 phase, yes? So now I rotate the 120 winding so it's at 179.
You said that was still 3 phase. So, if I drew a phasor diagram, I'd
have three vectors, one at 0, one at 179, one at 240, you agreed with
that. Now I rotate it one more degree to 180 and POOF, it's gone?
Your phasor diagram would now have only two vectors? And why would
that not be two phase, since there are only two in your world?

My world, there are still three vectors and it's still 3 phase. It's
easy when you know the rules and apply them consistently.