Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 1:55:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 07:35:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 10:11:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 17:58:23 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 2:49:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 11:31:28 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Already addressed that in another post just now. I clearly said "I believe".
Rather odd you're objecting to that suddenly, I've been posting the
same thing for two days.

... and I have been telling you for days, what you say about 2 phase
is simply wrong but you keep posting it.
Telling a lie over and over does not make it true.
You really are starting to sound more like your buddy trump every day.

I addressed it in the other post. As I said, this is the first time
you've insisted that one can't have two phases without 4 conductors.
You said that was the old 90 deg two phase system. I said OK, we can
morph that one step at a time. First step, instead of using two wires,
lets use a shared neutral, make it 3 wires. There isn't anything radical
in that, is there?
Just connect one end of each winding to a common return/neutral.
For a couple days, you didn't object. You have two windings, separated
by 90 deg on one shaft, two hots, one neutral. Very simple.
But now I understand you're
insisting that one can't have two phase without four conductors.
Are you sure that's your position of record? It seems very odd, since
we have 3 phase all over the place with just 3 conductors that it now
takes 4 conductors to get two phase. You might want to rethink that one.

You can duct tape a funnel on the nose of a horse and call it a
unicorn but that does not make it so.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/theory/2phd1.gif
Look at the diagram on the bottom. You will see that needs 4 wires. If
you make it a Tee or an Ell, you will end up with 3 phase.
In fact that was how they made 3 phase when they had 2 phase
distribution, well up into the 20th century. It was still in my IBM
physical planning manuals in 1990.
Same transformer, just wired the other way.
I am sorry if I keep coming back to transformers but that is what
electrical distribution uses. Don't blame me, blame Tesla and
Westinghouse.

I'm sorry if I keep rejecting your claim that phase requires transformers,
because it does not. Again, you're confusing a particular implementation
with the general case. It staggers the mind that we can get 3 phases
on 3 wires, but you claim that to get just two requires 4 wires.
It's absurd and totally refuted by the simple example of the generator
with two windings, offset by N degrees, with a ...

And you keep being ignorant of the fact that what you describe will
end up being 3 phase delta. In fact when I showed you a typical 3p
delta done with 2 windings (transformer or generator, makes no
difference) you tried to tell me it was 2 phase.
You just do not know what you are talking about so it is hard to take
your questions seriously.

According to you no one here knows what they are talking about except you.
The IEEE Fellow, prof, power engineer, he's confused too. He's using trig functions in his analysis, even though there isn't a trig function there.
You can't deal with a very simple generator with two windings. According
to you, it's impossible to have two phases from a generator without
4 wires. Which of course is BS. How then do we get 3 phases with just
3 wires? Explain that? Hello?

I take two windings, put them on the same shaft, separated by N degrees.
I tie two of the ends together, forming a common neutral. That defines
a TWO PHASE POWER SOURCE. It really is that simple. The only thing
that determines when the AC sine waves crosses zero and start to rise
is when the magnetic field passes the windings! It's defined by the
physical configuration of the generator, where the windings are on
the shaft, not the loads. I put a resistor
from one winding to neutral or the other winding to neutral, does it
change when the magnet passes the winding? No I still have a generator
putting out two phases at N degrees separation. I put a resistor between
one hot and the other, does it change when the magnet passes the winding?
NO. Those two phases are still there, N degrees apart. It really, really
is that simple. No transformers are involved. If we have 3 phase and
put a resistor between two phases do we now have 4 phase power? It
would be exactly the same thing. Put 3 resistors between the phases and
what now, 6 phases? Of course we still have 3 phases
at exactly the same phase angles which are DEFINED by where the windings
are on the shaft. It's defined at the 3 phase generator, it's defined
at the two phase generator.

These people don't know what they're talking about too? :

https://www.eeweb.com/quizzes/two-ph...ee-wire-system

"2-Phase-3-Wire-System_Problem-1430295633

A 2-phase, 3-wire AC system has a middle conductor of same cross-sectional area as the outer and supplies a load of 20 MW. The system is converted into 3-phase, 4-wire system by running a neutral wire. Calculate the new power which can be supplied if voltage across consumer terminal and percentage line losses remain the same."

According to you, it can't exist.
And don't tell us because it hasn't been built it can't be analyzed.
Their example is EXACTLY my example.