Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 09:03:35 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 10:10:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
It really is that simple. If you
make N=90, you have the old 90 deg two phase implemented over 3 wires
instead of two.

And what if you make N = 180 deg

How many phases do you have now?

Two phases, which is precisely my point. If you have two phases at 90,
two phases at 179, two at 181, then you have two at 180.
It's all consistent. Otherwise there is a "parlor trick" at 180.

I refer to transformers because that is what we use but you can
replace the primary with a rotating field (alternator) and nothing
changes.

The problem you can't have just 2 phases if they are connected. Until
you understand that we will keep laughing at you.

S L O W L Y
This is what you told me was 2 phase but it is 3 phase delta.
https://myelectrical.com/Portals/0/SunBlogNuke/2/WindowsLiveWriter/WhatisanOpenDeltaTransformer_A776/Open%20Delta%20Transformer_thumb.jpg
It is even labeled as such and if you google delta vee transformer
(open delta etc) you can see 100 other references that look just like
it.
When you rotate that second winding anywhere off of a straight line,
(zero or 180 angular displacement) this is what you have. If I ground
that line on the bottom of the picture I will have a corner grounded
delta. You now see why I say that looks exactly like a single phase.
In fact that wire would be required to be white if I grounded it.
With me so far?

If I rotate that field to be a straight line, (180 or zero is the same
thing with a semantic difference), poof, you have single phase.
You can call that trig or you can call that ****ing magic, I don't
care but it is true. You can't get to "2 phase" without 2 separated
sources.

BTW you keep talking about 181 degrees. Show me that on a standard
protractor. Mine has 0 and 180, in a straight line.
Most are labeled both ways so 180 = 0.
https://tinyurl.com/y8o2q8w7