Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Escaping from a fire.

In article , GB
scribeth thus
On 09/08/2018 09:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes down
is easier than up but still not easy.

Girlfriend lived in a fourth floor attic room. Lovely views from the
small attic skylight window some 12 foot or so above the gutter level.

It was some way up in the room you'd have to stand on a chair to climb
out.

Very narrow winding staircases to her room but there was a rope ladder
with two hooks you were suppose to put round the bottom of the window
and then climb down. As i was a bit of a lad in those days I tried it
complete with safety harness and a decent rope attached to something
immovable.

It was very difficult going down the slated roof maintaining a foothold
in the ladders rungs but going over the gutter edge was very difficult
and i decided not to risk it. Course there was no fire and it was
daylight i had a full body harness on mountaineering type but bugger
going any further with that ****ing useless arrangement.

Suppose if it was life or death perhaps you might have just taken a sort
of dive over the edge but then again i had the knowledge if I'd slipped
I'd have been restrained.

Approached the landlord after she'd complained to the fire brigade who
sent someone around they recommended a proper ladder type escape. Would
have cost a lot, landlords a grade A **** threw up a big fuss almost
came to blows with him, asked him to demonstrate how he'd get out should
have got him out onto the roof and unhooked the ladder

Never mind she moved in with me shortly after, problem solved

Pity the next poor sap who took over that death trap..

--
Tony Sayer